Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Developers Are Looking At Creating A New libc For LLVM

Phoronix: Google Developers Are Looking At Creating A New libc For LLVM

As part of Google's consolidating their different toolchains around LLVM, they are exploring the possibility of writing a new C library "libc" implementation...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

yay, re-inventing the wheel once again, one has to wonder what is wrong with musl libc though? not good enough, how? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMQrnVDf-rY

Comment

Umm. Surely you create a libc for an OS with a preferably standardized interface?
      I don't get why LLVM has anything to do with it? Why wouldn't one be able to use the new "libc" with GCC for example?

Comment

I hope they write it in Rust, not in Go

Comment

I thought google already has their own libc, called “bionic” - isn't that the case?

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post
            I thought google already has their own libc, called “bionic” - isn't that the case?
            That's what they use on Android. The only design goal was to avoid a GPL-licensed libc. The resulting library is mostly garbage.

Comment

Don't be evil, heh?

Comment

I will always side with the GNU.

OTOH this paragraph looks awful:
                We intend to build the new libc in a gradual manner. To begin with, the new libc will be a layer sitting between the application and the system libc. Eventually, when the implementation is sufficiently complete, it will be able to replace the system libc at least for some use cases and contexts.
                First as an interposer and later a replacement for some use cases. To me it seems like a library for emulation/testing. Except if we take that when it is beyond "sufficently complete", it will be able to replace the whole system libc.

Anyways, Google is trying hard to skip all GPL code as soon as possible.
                Last edited by Filiprino; 25 June 2019, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  I hope they write it in Rust, not in Go
                  Rust would be the logical choice.

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
                    yay, re-inventing the wheel once again, one has to wonder what is wrong with musl libc though? not good enough, how? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMQrnVDf-rY
                    Altough musl is slower than glibc in some cases, a whole desktop system compiled with musl have nearly 50% less RAM usage. I don't get it why google dislikes dynamic loading/linking but this would be a reason why it wouldn't be an alternative to any current libc libraries. Even musl supports it, though its focused on static linkage (and do it well).

Comment

Working...
                    X