Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Will Not Be Officially Supporting Ubuntu 19.10+

Phoronix: Valve Will Not Be Officially Supporting Ubuntu 19.10+

The planned dropping of 32-bit support on Ubuntu saga continues... Well known Valve Linux developer Pierre-Loup Griffais has said they plan to officially stop supporting Ubuntu for Steam on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Arch arch based manjaro perfectly supports steam and they don't seem to be breaking this compatibility. Also Mint is looking for ways to depart from ubuntu base to debian base and buster could be a very nice way of pushing their freedom. System76's PoP OS could well be one of the distros to continue with until they take the ubuntu 19.10 ways.

I would pick my poison arch flavored at least it lets me do my own stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by SkyWarrior View Post
      Arch arch based manjaro perfectly supports steam and they don't seem to be breaking this compatibility. Also Mint is looking for ways to depart from ubuntu base to debian base and buster could be a very nice way of pushing their freedom. System76's PoP OS could well be one of the distros to continue with until they take the ubuntu 19.10 ways.

I would pick my poison arch flavored at least it lets me do my own stuff.
      They don't have secure boot certificate tho lol

Comment

If I am in control of my system why would I need a secure boot certificate. Besides My system does not support secure boot. I am on the oldie X79 still.

Comment

Opensuse/tumbleweed.

Comment

Oh, it is of insignificant importance. After all, gaming is a childish edge case, an improductive afterthought. Freed from that disgusting 32 bits burden, Ubuntu will soar to server and IoT domination since we all know desktop distro usage has no effect on non-desktop distro choices from devs.

Also, i am sure the fraction of WIN7 users who are spooked by WIN10 and were Linux curious will appreciate that perfectly timed clarification.
            Last edited by Dedale; 22 June 2019, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SkyWarrior View Post
              If I am in control of my system why would I need a secure boot certificate. Besides My system does not support secure boot. I am on the oldie X79 still.
              So your comment just made zero sense.

Anyway, this is what happens when you support Ubuntu, they tend to drop things once people rely on them.

Comment

so why they don't end support for macOS too ?

another executive that should be replaced

Comment

Originally posted by Dedale View Post
                  Oh, it is of insignificant importance. After all, gaming is a childish edge case, an improductive afterthought. Freed from that disgusting 32 bits burden, Ubuntu will soar to server and IoT domination since we all know desktop distro usage has no effect on non-desktop distro choices from devs.

Also, i am sure the fraction of WIN7 users who are spooked by WIN10 and where Linux curious will appreciate that perfectly timed clarification.
                  /sarcasm on

Of course Canonical is doing the right thing screwing with the gaming market, that $186 billion gaming market, I'm sure that Microsoft is announcing announcing any time now that they're breaking all games since Windows XP.

/sarcasm off

How can Canonical be serious about dropping the 32bit multiarch? I don't get it this, is such a strategic shoot in the feet has all the hallmark of MS interference.

Anyone who gets in bed with MS contracts some kind of brain parasite that makes them act on the bests interest of Microsoft.

Comment

Debian makes the most sense from a least effort for maximum results perspective.

Comment

Working...
                    X