Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Graphics Driver Ready For HDR Support In Linux 5.3, Other Last-Minute Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Graphics Driver Ready For HDR Support In Linux 5.3, Other Last-Minute Features

Phoronix: Intel Graphics Driver Ready For HDR Support In Linux 5.3, Other Last-Minute Features

While there still is a few weeks until the Linux 5.2 kernel will debut and thus the opening of the Linux 5.3 merge window, due to DRM-Next halting new feature code from merging prior to that point, in preparation Intel open-source developers sent in their final batch of feature work aiming for Linux 5.3...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"This HDR support is being pursued now by Intel developers with Icelake's Gen 11 graphics offering HDR support."
    Does this mean there is no HDR support for previous GPU generations (read: everything available)?

Comment

...update for Linux 4.3 includes...
      Linux 5.3

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
        "This HDR support is being pursued now by Intel developers with Icelake's Gen 11 graphics offering HDR support."
        Does this mean there is no HDR support for previous GPU generations (read: everything available)?
        GLK is the first platforms with native HDMI HDR metadata support. Older platorms do not have it.

For native DP we might be able to go back further than this. But I'm not 100% sure the relevant hardware buffer has enough room for the metadata.

Also SKL/derivatives typically use an external DP->HDMI chip (LSPCON) for HDMI 2.0 support, and supposedly those have some proprietary mechanism for this stuff. So there is some hope of HDR metadata support there as well.

tl;dr for now it's limited to GLK/ICL native HDMI

Comment

Very nice to get it at least for future generations. I have one of the few Z270 boards with HDMI 2.0 output (ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac), and I bought it with eye on possible HDR output some time during its lifespan, remains to be seen if what syrjala said about DP->HDMI chips is possible to be done. I'll happily test patches if I ever spot something to test.

Comment

Out of curiosity what is HDR support like for AMD and nvidia drivers/hardware?

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
              Out of curiosity what is HDR support like for AMD and nvidia drivers/hardware?
              AMD and Nvidia are working on their respective solutions. AMD has submitted code for the 5.3 kernel to activate it in their drivers. Nvidia is doing their own thing and you'd have to dig into what they are doing to find out where things are, as they have kept it to themselves and the devs they work with.

Comment

Working...
              X