No announcement yet.

Haiku Continues Seeing A Lot Of Driver Fixes, New Malloc & Now Built By GCC 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haiku Continues Seeing A Lot Of Driver Fixes, New Malloc & Now Built By GCC 8

Phoronix: Haiku Continues Seeing A Lot Of Driver Fixes, New Malloc & Now Built By GCC 8

The Haiku operating system that is the open-source inspiration from BeOS continues with a busy 2019 following their R1 beta towards the end of last year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

SPARC support?

Comment

Originally posted by toguro123 View Post
      SPARC support?
      Not even Oracle wants sparc

Comment

phoronix Thanks for continuing to report on Haiku

Comment

Now do some benchmarks of it.

Comment

Question to any Haiku user: How is it as a desktop as far as usability goes and how well does it perform in a VM? I haven't used it since it was BeOS and I only used that for maybe 6 hours out of boredom one day 18 years ago.

Just curious and thinking "out loud": Would it make more sense for them to port as much as possible to Linux or BSD or even Redux and turn Haiku into a desktop environment or for them to develop Hine or Bine...a compatibility layer like Wine, but for Haiku or BeOS? I completely get doing it just to do it for the love and passion of it, but it just seems like they'd get more use and exposure if they weren't their own OS, that's all.

Comment

Michael Do I have complaints against me? Should I tone it down a bit? Just something I feel I should ask since I'm getting random unapproved posts again.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                Michael Do I have complaints against me? Should I tone it down a bit? Just something I feel I should ask since I'm getting random unapproved posts again.
                Just the spam/link vBulletin checker being pesky and false positives as usual.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                  Question to any Haiku user: How is it as a desktop as far as usability goes and how well does it perform in a VM? I haven't used it since it was BeOS and I only used that for maybe 6 hours out of boredom one day 18 years ago.

Just curious and thinking "out loud": Would it make more sense for them to port as much as possible to Linux or BSD or even Redux and turn Haiku into a desktop environment or for them to develop Hine or Bine...a compatibility layer like Wine, but for Haiku or BeOS? I completely get doing it just to do it for the love and passion of it, but it just seems like they'd get more use and exposure if they weren't their own OS, that's all.
                  There is a big devide in philosophy between GNU/Linux and BeOS/Haiku, one that can't be settled with yet another desktop environment under Linux. Haiku is developed holistically all the way from kernel to the UI.

Comment

I don't have spare hardware so I'm running Haiku in VirtualBox. It works well there. Check out the Haiku forums.

Comment

Working...
                    X