Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 19.2 Punts AMD Register Descriptions Into JSON

Phoronix: Mesa 19.2 Punts AMD Register Descriptions Into JSON

If you want an easy way to go through the AMD Radeon GPU register descriptions, they are now storing them in a JSON format within Mesa following more than ten thousand lines of code/headers being shifted around today...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Will this help with building gui config tools for radeon settings?

i.e. enable disable freesync / hdr / oc'ing, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post

I didn't check, but I guess it is used to generate headers at compile-time.

JSON is nice, but it desperately needs some standard way to put some comments together with the data.

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post

JSON is nice, but it desperately needs some standard way to put some comments together with the data.
        Like YAML?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
          Not really, but who needs that anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post

Not really, but who needs that anyway?
            People tired of setting all of that with command line switches, environment variables, and sudoedit.

Comment

There are plenty of formats that support comments, JSON has dropped support for them, because they did more harm than good. There are plenty of standardized formats, and you can pick any of them to better match your needs.

Comment

Comment your format in your documentation. Data doesn't need comments. This is great. Json is probably the best general use small data format there is.

Comment

"Descriptions" is a big word for what seems to be just short, abbreviated names assigned to registers. From a "description", I would rather expect some prose text describing what a register does - what you can only guess if all you have is a name.

Comment

You mean like this? : (Copied from the actual AMD register description)
                    Code:
                    + {"comment": "not on stoney", "name": "IMG_DATA_FORMAT_32_AS_8", "value": 61},
                    Putting comments into the JSON format itself allows you to also parse the comments in a standardized way
                    Last edited by Veto; 05 June 2019, 12:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X