AMD Staging Another Fix To Try Correcting Some Raven Ridge Systems On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Staging Another Fix To Try Correcting Some Raven Ridge Systems On Linux

Phoronix: AMD Staging Another Fix To Try Correcting Some Raven Ridge Systems On Linux

AMD Raven Ridge APUs have been out for more than one year now and at least under Linux can still be quite problematic depending upon the particular motherboard BIOS and other factors. Fortunately, while Raven 2 and Picasso APU support is appearing to be in better shape, the AMD open-source developers haven't forgot about these problematic Raven 1 systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It would be nice to see a lot better support for APUs from AMD..
    I own a kavery A10-7800,

When you try to get sensors output, you get:
    Code:
    fam15h_power-pci-00c4
    Adapter: PCI adapter
    power1:           N/A  (crit =  65.19 W)

k10temp-pci-00c3
    Adapter: PCI adapter
    temp1:        +11.2°C  (high = +70.0°C)
                           (crit = +70.0°C, hyst = +69.0°C)
    A good support would mean more sales,
    Also because AMD followed the OpenSource path, in the moment of choosing which thing to get.. I think AMD from the beginning would get a advantage there..
    And to be honest, the amd APUs have the required processing power, plus the required graphics power...

Comment

Edge cases and issues like this are the things that destroy all the other contributions to the divers they put out.

On Intel systems, you would not have to pick being able to boot or functionality.

Comment

While this is amazing its not a great fix at all. I have a system where the firmware loads totally OK and works. This just disables some stuff for me.Really not great way to fix it. At least give us option to load it if it worked.

Comment

I also have a working Ryzen HP Envy Laptop with F35 BIOS. I've never experienced boot issues or lockups.
          The touchscreen is a bit hit or miss. But apart from that I am very happy with it.

Comment

Actually Plasma Wayland will not load anymore with my Ryzen 3 2200G. And on my HP Envy x360 the Ryzen 5 2500U Linux >= 4.20 will not boot at all. I really hope AMD will provide some fixes, but I would like to see at least options to load problematic functionalities.

Comment

That might be a mesa/llvm rev issue. Kernel 5.1 and mesa 19.1-19.2 seem to be doing OK atm, at least for the 2200g I'm configuring.

Hi, this is the UNSTABLE, built from git padoka ppa. if you are looking for the STABLE padoka PPA, go here: https://launchpad.net/~paulo-miguel-dias/+archive/ubuntu/pkppa/ If you like/use this PPA and think i deserve a cup of coffee, do a Paypal donation: https://www.paypal.me/padoka I don't have the time to support multiple ubuntu versions, so i only provide support for the LTS and the latest. if you need support for older versions, use oibaf repo instead (URL below). oibaf ppa for refer...

Comment

This is not a fix. This is calling your car a tricycle when you get a flat tire.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
                  Actually Plasma Wayland will not load anymore with my Ryzen 3 2200G. And on my HP Envy x360 the Ryzen 5 2500U Linux >= 4.20 will not boot at all. I really hope AMD will provide some fixes, but I would like to see at least options to load problematic functionalities.
                  I can't boot on anything over 4.19. I was wondering have you tried 5.2 yet, does it work?

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
                    This is not a fix. This is calling your car a tricycle when you get a flat tire.
                    Probably more correct to say "calling your car a tricycle when the dealer ships it to you with a wheel missing so you can use your car until the dealer sends you a new wheel" (SBIOS fix).

It has always been hard to make car analogies work well with computer hardware
                    Last edited by bridgman; 24 May 2019, 06:38 PM.
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X