XWayland Receive An EGL-Based GLX Provider, Helping Various Games On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XWayland Receive An EGL-Based GLX Provider, Helping Various Games On Linux

Phoronix: XWayland Receive An EGL-Based GLX Provider, Helping Various Games On Linux

A notable improvement was merged into the "xserver" Git tree for the eventual X.Org Server 1.21 release that will improve the support for various Linux games relying on XWayland for running under a Wayland compositor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If we never accepted small amounts of progress to lead to today, we'd still be chiseling stone tablets.

Yet another quality (/s) debianxfcte post!

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
      Who cares, nobody uses Xwayland even for casual gaming. The are zero public Xwayland game play videos in YouTube. Only one benchmark video and a couple of private videos.
      I beg to differ.
      Many games are not Wayland-native yet, and users might not want to logout of their Wayland session into a X.Org session every time they want to start a game.

I use XWayland for casual gaming. I use it to play Tibia.

Comment

MSAA worked also before this commit in various games, e.g. Skyrim. Must be rather specific.

Comment

Originally posted by abott View Post
          Yet another quality (/s) debianxfcte post!
          Did you ever notice how often debianxfce takes the phrase "I don't use..." and substitutes "Nobody uses..." as if his usage preferences are the only ones that matter and the whole universe revolves around him? Trolling tactic #542

It's long past banhammer time.

Comment

Who cares, nobody uses Xwayland even for casual gaming..
            Really you did not read carefully.
            This also paves the way for xserver to stop being a DRI driver loader, which is nice.
            This line should be very clear. The option to avoid Xwayland will be going away. If x.org server loses the means to load DRI driver means it no longer can function stand alone.

Comment

I could be wrong but this should actually help getting Xwayland working on nVidia.

Comment

Another very interesting MR (not yet landed) is https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/...e_requests/203, which allows compositors to start Xwayland on demand. https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutte...e_requests/420 works on that on the Gnome site. So lets hope we get a 1.21 for F30 and U19.10
                Last edited by treba; 24 May 2019, 06:18 AM.

Comment

Great with some focus on improving XWayland. XWayland is probably the biggest single reason why Wayland is still not there where I want to use it. There is simply too many X apps that do not work smoothly on Wayland - especially with a HiDPI screen.

Comment

12k IBM workers yes but not masses. Gnome3 is for IBM workers but not for masses.
                    Most people who use Wayland are not employees at IBM.
                    It's not only Fedora and Red Hat which use Wayland. People on Arch, Gentoo, openSUSE, Ubuntu, etc use it too.

Comment

Working...
                    X