Wine & Mingw-w64 Might Tighten Up Their Relationship - Possible "WineSDK"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine & Mingw-w64 Might Tighten Up Their Relationship - Possible "WineSDK"

Phoronix: Wine & Mingw-w64 Might Tighten Up Their Relationship - Possible "WineSDK"

Developers between the Wine and Mingw-w64 projects are discussing the potential for further embracing their relationship given the overlap in trajectory and both benefiting from close collaboration. This extended relationship could also involve Mingw-w64 potentially adopting Wine's branding...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"WineSDK" is a terrible name. It means something completely different than what it actually is.

Comment

This is great news, MinGW-W64 is doing a terrific job. It is pretty much obscured behind the bulky name and Sourceforge hosting.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        "WineSDK" is a terrible name. It means something completely different than what it actually is.
        Why so? To me, it sounds like it does what it says

Comment

They can't use the name GCC? Like WinGCC? At the least the CC part?

Comment

Well, name MinGW-w64 is not that great (because it's not only for Win64) but I don't think "WineSDK" would be better. It isn't only for Wine but for Windows development too.

Comment

WingCC. Call it WCC for short. Problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
                I had the same thought as RealNC . Wine is a framework for running Windows programs on platforms like Linux, while MinGW is a GCC-based toolchain for compiling native Windows programs. To borrow Wine branding for MinGW would suggest that it's somehow involved in porting Windows software or emulating Windows APIs, which it's not.

It's great that they're sharing infrastructure and source code, but that's where the sharing should end. I certainly wouldn't argue against renaming MinGW, but a name involving Wine is a stupid idea, as it would only lead to confusion and misunderstanding.

It's bad enough that such nonsensical branding decisions are commonplace, in the commercial sector. It'd be a shame for them to afflict important open source projects, as well.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                  I had the same thought as RealNC . Wine is a framework for running Windows programs on platforms like Linux, while MinGW is a GCC-based toolchain for compiling native Windows programs. To borrow Wine branding for MinGW would suggest that it's somehow involved in porting Windows software or emulating Windows APIs, which it's not.

It's great that they're sharing infrastructure and source code, but that's where the sharing should end. I certainly wouldn't argue against renaming MinGW, but a name involving Wine is a stupid idea, as it would only lead to confusion and misunderstanding.

It's bad enough that such nonsensical branding decisions are commonplace, in the commercial sector. It'd be a shame for them to afflict important open source projects, as well.
                  Wine is a lot more complex. Wined3d is used on windows for different usage cases. Wine is not just a framework for running windows applications on platforms on Linux. Parts of wine are used for running old windows programs on newer versions of Windows and also used inside different virtual machine solutions with windows. Mingw with wine header files is used for building wine testsuite to run on windows for compare testing.

Question is what is going to be in the SDK. Is the SDK going to be wine platform test suite and header file/.spec from wine + mingw if that is the case then WineSDK kind of makes sense because in that case the largest volume of code would be in fact from wine.

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
                    Mingw is for building Windows applications, not for developing Linux or Mac applications that run in Wine.

Comment

Working...
                    X