Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problems Being Investigated Under Wayland Itches Program, Including Gaming Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems Being Investigated Under Wayland Itches Program, Including Gaming Performance

Phoronix: Problems Being Investigated Under Wayland Itches Program, Including Gaming Performance

Last week we wrote about a "Wayland Itches" program being devised by prolific open-source contributor Hans de Goede of Red Hat. The goal of this program is to address itches/paper-cuts/problems in using GNOME Shell atop Wayland. He's received a fair amount of feedback so far and has some early indications to share...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Isn't this very specific to Gnome, and not Wayland in general?

Comment

It's good to see good people working on next-gen technologies, specially focused on the most polished DE. Keep the good work, guy!

Comment

lol, gnome doesnt give you a paper cut, it axes off your hand ...

Comment

I'm running sway, and my single major gripe ATM is that when my external monitors are disconnected (the config places them on the left), GTK apps systematically fail to display context menus, menus or pop-ups (and sometimes they are in the wrong position if one of the two external screens is connected).

Not sure it would qualify, though.

Edit: to reproduce with one monitor and Firefox:
          Code:
          output * resolution 1920x1080 position 3000,360
          Last edited by M@yeulC; 23 May 2019, 02:50 AM.

Comment

Firefox nightly is shaping up really good on Wayland and works rather well.

Things I miss in Wayland:

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Things I miss in/on Wayland:
              • Middle-click to paste (KWin is trying to bring this feature back though)
              • Stutter-free VSync'ed XWayland
              • Full-screen unredirection (like Windows' "Exclusive Fullscreen" for lag reduction)
              • A standard protocol for screen resolution/multi-monitor configuration

Oh come on don'
              Last edited by tildearrow; 24 May 2019, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Things I miss in/on Wayland:
                • Middle-click to paste (KWin is trying to bring this feature back though)
                • Stutter-free VSync'ed XWayland
                • Full-screen unredirection (like Windows' "Exclusive Fullscreen" for lag reduction)
                • A standard protocol for screen resolution/multi-monitor configuration

O
                Yeah, this was like the primary reason people *wanted* wayland (minus the paste feature). wtf ever happened there.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

You sure you use Linux? lol

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                    Gnome3, kde and wayland are badly designed, nothing helps. IBM and suse developers are just writing blogs as you see. They do it intentionally to prevent the success of the Linux desktop. That is good for the Xfce desktop, many are ex gnome3 and kde users.
                    How much meth do you have to smoke to get into so many conspiracy theories?

Comment

Working...
                    X