Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prolific Red Hat Developer Starts Up "Wayland Itches" Project

Phoronix: Prolific Red Hat Developer Starts Up "Wayland Itches" Project

Longtime Red Hat developer Hans de Goede who has been responsible for many Linux desktop improvements over the years from laptop support fixes to open-source GPU driver fixes to most recently flicker-free boot has a new area of hacking: taking care of the pain points under Wayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So what itches do you have with Wayland?
    On Wayland or on GNOME on Wayland?)

Comment

Originally posted by Sunderland93 View Post

On Wayland or on GNOME on Wayland?)
      hansdegoede has mentioned Firefox-Wayland, which isn't explicitly tied to GNOME on Wayland, but he can clarify the areas specifically he'd tackle.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Scrolling is broken in weston-terminal.

Comment

Context menus are on the wrong screen in weston.

Comment

Itches:

1. Wayland is not limited to Gnome. There should be more coordinated cooperation between compositor developers (kwin, wlroots, mutter etc.).
            2. Freesync support.
            3. First class Vulkan/WSI support instead of usage of EGL and Co.
            4. No Wine support except through XWayland.
            Last edited by shmerl; 14 May 2019, 12:27 PM.

Comment

hansdegoede is one of the most prolific and important contributors to the LInux desktop. We should all be thankful he has kept at it.

Comment

network tunneling over ssh, so that i can use GVIM or firefox from my server. firefox so that I can setup those odd things that only have a web interface for configuration (cups, unifi, etc.) and gvim because it's better than vim in a terminal.

Comment

Originally posted by cynyr View Post
                  network tunneling over ssh, so that i can use GVIM or firefox from my server. firefox so that I can setup those odd things that only have a web interface for configuration (cups, unifi, etc.) and gvim because it's better than vim in a terminal.
                  Why can't you just use a local browser/editor along with SSH?

Comment

I'm using Sway over Wayland, and what I miss the most is proper multi monitor support. Mirroring is not supported, and screen placement does not always work reliably. But I'm not sure to what extent these problems are because of Wayland or because of Sway.

Comment

Working...
                    X