Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kaidan Joins KDE As A Jabber/XMPP Chat Client

Phoronix: Kaidan Joins KDE As A Jabber/XMPP Chat Client

Kaidan is the newest program in the KDE family, which is a Jabber/XMPP client that ultimately hopes to compete with the likes of Telegram...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder why has XMPP been fading away and being replaced by tons of mostly proprietary protocols.
    Security? Lack of features (although it was extensible)? Or just the desire to monopolize via incompatibility?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      I wonder why has XMPP been fading away and being replaced by tons of mostly proprietary protocols.
      Security? Lack of features (although it was extensible)? Or just the desire to monopolize via incompatibility?
      I don't think there's more to success or lack thereof besides marketing. Although IIRC XMPP is a complex beast, but then again, whatsapp isn't perfect either.

Pure marketing and a lot of luck.
      Last edited by Hi-Angel; 10 May 2019, 05:48 PM.

Comment

I think it's mainly lack of features and comfort. As much as i love the idea of freedom, i must admit that the likes of signal, Riot, XMPP don't come anywhere near telegram or wire in regards of Images, Videos, Link Previews/quickviews, stickers and overall polish. As most people don't really care too much about FOSS, they just see the downsides of the truly free chat-options - and if you are the only one of your friends using them, they are kind of pointless :/

Comment

The thing about messengers is that it isn't just your decision. You also need to use what your friends in colleagues use - and most people need a compelling reason to switch. The reason Telegram has been picking up market share is that they are leading edge on features and functionality - plus they have a native client for all major platforms - Android, IOS, Mac, Windows & Linux.

Comment

None of that.

As you can see from excellent XMPP clients like Conversations there are no technical reasons not use XMPP. The only reason that more people use inferior proprietary tools is their absolute unwillingness to perform even the slightest amount of configuration, even if that means they are at the mercy of some for-profit company running the only servers of a centralized service.

Comment

Good question.

In my circles it was mostly Google that removed gtalk in favour of hangouts that caused friends/family/colleagues to stop using XMMP based communication. Perhaps this also demotivated people to develop and maintain clients?

I miss libpurple and using apps like pidgin, jitsi, and kopete... These days it's mostly whatsapp, slack and discord. I enjoy using telegram for desktop and mobile, trying signal is on my todo list.

PS: keybase UX sucks, but I still like using it.

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
                As you can see from excellent XMPP clients like Conversations /.../
                Thanks for the link. Is this a viable option to e.g. Signal? (I don't like that it requires a phone number, cf. https://www.reddit.com/r/signal/comm...thout_a_phone/)

Comment

I was feeling pretty downbeat about the whole XMPP situation myself. I gave up running my own server after Google switched off GTalk because there was just no point any more. I was using a weird and little known XMPP + Ruby + FreeSWITCH framework for controlling voice calls at my last workplace for several years but I've now moved on.

More recently, I spoke to a guy at the XMPP stand at FOSDEM and he was surprisingly optimistic, saying that it was seeing a new lease of life in the likes of game lobbies.

As for communicating with my friends, I've mostly dropped back to email although someone had me reconsider Signal this week. I don't mind the phone number requirement, it's things like WhatApp being owned by Facebook that bother me. I just wish the desktop client wasn't Electron-based though. I know I'm not alone there.

Comment

Ignorant people. Be glad at least e-mail became a standard way before Internet became popular.

Comment

Working...
                    X