Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The State of CentOS 8.0 As The Community Rebuild Of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The State of CentOS 8.0 As The Community Rebuild Of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.0

Phoronix: The State of CentOS 8.0 As The Community Rebuild Of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.0

With Scientific Linux bowing out, CentOS 8 will be the primary community/non-commercial re-spin of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8. That is, once CentOS 8.0 is ready to be released...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

with RHEL 7, CentOS took just 27 days. That's pretty good. Any reason to believe this time around would be much different?

Comment

Kernel 3.10.0-957 all the way to 4.18! I wonder what's the LoC difference.

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
        with RHEL 7, CentOS took just 27 days. That's pretty good. Any reason to believe this time around would be much different?
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CentOS...on_information
        From what I read elsewhere, the buildsystem changes are much greater this time. However Centos twitter has indicated that a month is still a good estimate for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
          Kernel 3.10.0-957 all the way to 4.18! I wonder what's the LoC difference.
          Difficult to tell since the RHEL kernel is heavily modified, people spent an inordinate amount of time on the thankless task of backporting fixes to this kernel. But at least the version number remains stable

Comment

This is exciting. Almost 15 years as linux tinker and I still get excited over distro releases.

Comment

Can't wait to install it on my home server!

Comment

Never bothered to try a .0 release. I usually wait for a year and give .1 a spin. Then another year and introduce .2 in a non-production environment. I have never encountered a stable release prior to .4

Comment

Originally posted by smotad View Post
                  Never bothered to try a .0 release. I usually wait for a year and give .1 a spin. Then another year and introduce .2 in a non-production environment. I have never encountered a stable release prior to .4
                  Hardware enablement support is ending later this year for 7 so hang onto those old systems if you want to wait to deploy 8 until 8.4 is released.

Comment

Working...
                  X