Intel OpenCL Linux 19.17.12918 Stack Does Away With Cannonlake Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel OpenCL Linux 19.17.12918 Stack Does Away With Cannonlake Support

Phoronix: Intel OpenCL Linux 19.17.12918 Stack Does Away With Cannonlake Support

Intel released version 19.17.12918 of their OpenCL "NEO" open-source compute runtime stack this week...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Makes me wonder if there are issues with the Cannon Lake GPU beyond Intel’s inability to shrink.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
      Makes me wonder if there are issues with the Cannon Lake GPU beyond Intel’s inability to shrink.
      I've experienced some crashes and screen corruption on a Cannonlake (Intel UHD 630) box when using chromium with forced acceleration in chromium, and I've dealt with a laptop with Intel UHD 620 (I think it ships in some Cannonlake chips) kernel crashes where browsers were set up with defaults, and I had to forcefully disable acceleration to make it usable.

Nothing is close to Sandybridge (Intel HD 3000), which to this day has severe issues with GPU hangs in certain OpenGL workloads (could be some OpenGL 2 stuff) as well as crashes which occur when messing around with WebGL, not to mention how easy it is to crash the kernel when encoding video with VA-API, which is very likely to crash about 15 seconds after starting, making it to 40 seconds requires luck.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post

I've experienced some crashes and screen corruption on a Cannonlake (Intel UHD 630) box when using chromium with forced acceleration in chromium, and I've dealt with a laptop with Intel UHD 620 (I think it ships in some Cannonlake chips) kernel crashes where browsers were set up with defaults, and I had to forcefully disable acceleration to make it usable.

Nothing is close to Sandybridge (Intel HD 3000), which to this day has severe issues with GPU hangs in certain OpenGL workloads (could be some OpenGL 2 stuff) as well as crashes which occur when messing around with WebGL, not to mention how easy it is to crash the kernel when encoding video with VA-API, which is very likely to crash about 15 seconds after starting, making it to 40 seconds requires luck.
        That "Intel UHD 630" of yours isn't Cannonlake (Gen10), it's just a rebranded 'Gen9.5' (from Kabylake-era).
        As Michael already said in the article, nobody outside of Intel has ever seen a 'Gen10' GPU out in the wild!

Comment

Working...
        X