Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XFS In Linux 5.2 Gets "A Big Pile Of New Stuff"

Phoronix: XFS In Linux 5.2 Gets "A Big Pile Of New Stuff"

While EXT4 in Linux 5.2 sees (optional) case insensitive file-name/directory support, the XFS file-system is seeing "a big pile of new stuff" introduced albeit it's made up of a lot of fixes and some new functionality...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Meanwhile BTRFS is in stone age, latency and responsiveness is still bad when there's lots of random background I/O and overall performance leaves more to desire.

Comment

Would be nice to know if any of these xfs improvements are in rhel8 already. Maybe one of the rh summit talks will explain.

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
        Meanwhile BTRFS is in stone age, latency and responsiveness is still bad when there's lots of random background I/O and overall performance leaves more to desire.
        I do not even know when is btrbk backuping my snapshots, can even put a dedup in background and go watch a movie in Netflix it is completely unnoticeable. Maybe you are talking about HDD?

Comment

Most likely he is talking out of his ass. Performance is great here.

Comment

Originally posted by RomuloP View Post

I do not even know when is btrbk backuping my snapshots, can even put a dedup in background and go watch a movie in Netflix it is completely unnoticeable. Maybe you are talking about HDD?
            he is a known bsd fanboy. His duties involve shitting on btrfs.

Comment

Originally posted by pegasus View Post
              Would be nice to know if any of these xfs improvements are in rhel8 already. Maybe one of the rh summit talks will explain.
              Seems kinda unlikely considering how conservative RHEL is

Comment

Working...
              X