AMD Rolls Out Gold Edition Ryzen & Radeon VII Products For 50th Anniversary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Rolls Out Gold Edition Ryzen & Radeon VII Products For 50th Anniversary

Phoronix: AMD Rolls Out Gold Edition Ryzen & Radeon VII Products For 50th Anniversary

Confirming recent leaks, AMD today announced the Ryzen 7 2700X Gold Edition and Radeon VII Gold Edition products in marking the 50th anniversary of Advanced Micro Devices...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It would have been cool to get a a limited edition super binned 5.0 Ghz 2700x, 50 5.0 it makes sense.

Comment

So unless you're one of those people with an open window case or the game bundle appeals to you, this doesn't seem very compelling. AMD should have taken notes from Intel on how to do an anniversary product (Pentium G3258).

Oh, well. Hopefully, Zen2 will make for a much better anniversary present.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        The Gold Edition Ryzen 7 270)X features Lisa Su's signature
        Wish there was Threadripper Gold...

Comment

These two Gold Edition products will come with a game bundle of Tom Clancy's The Division 2 and World War Z. Those aren't native Linux games but at least can become relevant with Steam Play on Linux.
          Sadly none of those games are available on Steam...

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
            AMD should have taken notes from Intel on how to do an anniversary product (Pentium G3258).

I think it is awfully close to Zen 2 launch to create a different SKU just for the anniversary. Motherboard vendors would have to issue BIOS updates to support this new SKU that basically nobody was going to use in a daily system.

As it is, the AMD50 edition of the 2700X is basically a collectors piece that you display on a shelf somewhere, rather than use it daily, which I think is what most people would end up doing with them anyway.

And while the G3258 was pretty awesome for its time, a dual thread CPU in 2019 is a no go (for gaming).

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            Wish there was Threadripper Gold...
            Yeah, now that you mention it, it does seem strange that basically everyone forgot about Threadripper.

Comment

AMD makes all magpies go like: "Oooh. Shiny..."

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                So unless you're one of those people with an open window case or the game bundle appeals to you, this doesn't seem very compelling. AMD should have taken notes from Intel on how to do an anniversary product (Pentium G3258).

I totally agree, they could have used this date way better to create more buzz. But I guess they are fully aware of this and had to come up with something because Zen 2 and Navi are late. If they did themselves a service with such a low effort is up for debate though.

Comment

2700x when 3000 series is about to launch? thats...hmm....strange?if not stupid? it makes sense to make 3700x as gold edition since it will be this year that amd celebrate 50th anniversary of blah blah and not the year of 2700x (2018).

Comment

I wanted something like and Athlon 250g with fully unlocked multipliers for core, memory and vega iGPU. I have an Athlon 240ge but it's unfortunate how only the CPU multi is unlocked. No ability to play with RAM or iGPU frequency.

Comment

Working...
                    X