Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 4.7 Updates The Mono Engine & More

Phoronix: Wine 4.7 Updates The Mono Engine & More

Wine 4.7 is out as the latest bi-weekly development release of Wine for running your favorite Windows games and programs on Linux and other operating systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

pinguin, you're late

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      pinguin, you're late
      Hi

I stay really busy with d9vk

But this wine version have more work on mfplat, quartz and amstream (maybe RE 2 improve but i dont know)

In test with d9vk improvements are so much compared wined3d (around 2x performance with around 50% less cpu usage)

Wined3d

D9VK

Last edited by pinguinpc; 26 April 2019, 06:25 PM.

Comment

The one thing I've wished for forever that WINE would add is USB support. This would be a godsend for those who have to deal with GPS and other stuff that only have Windows programs available to update or configure them.

Comment

Originally posted by alcalde View Post
          The one thing I've wished for forever that WINE would add is USB support. This would be a godsend for those who have to deal with GPS and other stuff that only have Windows programs available to update or configure them.
          Some USB GPS units do work with Wine. All depends on the USB protocol being used.

If the GPS is HID you will need to add a udev rule to give permission all the time or manually switch to root and grant user permission.
          Some that are USB serial those also work because client program can be just a serial port using item.

If the program from maker is using libusb under windows then https://github.com/stanson-ch/libusb-wine this work can help in those cases. But this is something that lacks funds to be taken mainline.

Other than this stuff wine project fairly much hits for full USB support is no one willing to fund developer time to make it. Yes USB support is something you see a lot of requests for but there is not the money for developers to make it work.

Cash does talk in the open source world. When other areas there is cash for developers to fix of course those will get preference to fix.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

Other than this stuff wine project fairly much hits for full USB support is no one willing to fund developer time to make it. Yes USB support is something you see a lot of requests for but there is not the money for developers to make it work.

Cash does talk in the open source world. When other areas there is cash for developers to fix of course those will get preference to fix.
            Thank you for the USB GPS information. There were patches for USB support a long time ago, but the WINE project didn't want to accept them because they wouldn't work for OS X - at least that's what I remember being told. I'm sure the patches are too old now to be of any use. The Wiki seems to have been scrubbed of the information but I found it via the Wayback Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20110721...winehq.org/USB

Comment

with d9vk:

info: Required Vulkan extension VK_KHR_get_physical_device_properties2 not supported
              info: Required Vulkan extension VK_KHR_surface not supported
              info: Required Vulkan extension VK_KHR_win32_surface not supported
              err: DxvkInstance: Failed to create instance
              on intel gpu
              but i play dx11 games fine...
              what am i doing wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by alcalde View Post
                Thank you for the USB GPS information. There were patches for USB support a long time ago, but the WINE project didn't want to accept them because they wouldn't work for OS X - at least that's what I remember being told. I'm sure the patches are too old now to be of any use. The Wiki seems to have been scrubbed of the information but I found it via the Wayback Machine:
                Sorry to say the OS X was not the reason. V4L2 support would not be in wine if OS X was require everything. USB page was removed in a wiki clean up because by that point those patches had been unmaintained and the website providing them had disappeared. Also even if you can find those patches I absolutely don't recommend using them.

True there were being question if that USB should be extend to have OS X support. The real roadblock was in fact bricking devices due to failing part way though firmware updates. There need to be quite a bit of funding/resources to implement a full USB driver layer that will not be device fatal. Yes the person doing it will need to spend a fair 'bit of money'/'donated devices' getting enough hardware to be able to test it. Basically cost is past what you can expect solo developer in their spare time to be able to-do its the past failure you are pointing to tells us that.

Newer HID and the older serial that work dependably.

Comment

Sadly, Altium Designer are still not working with wine...

Comment

Originally posted by deant View Post
                    with d9vk:

info: Required Vulkan extension VK_KHR_get_physical_device_properties2 not supported
                    info: Required Vulkan extension VK_KHR_surface not supported
                    info: Required Vulkan extension VK_KHR_win32_surface not supported
                    err: DxvkInstance: Failed to create instance
                    on intel gpu
                    but i play dx11 games fine...
                    what am i doing wrong?
                    do you have vulkan libraries for 32bits installed?
                    most dx9 games are 32 bits.

Comment

Working...
                    X