Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 19.04 Radeon Linux Gaming Performance: Popular Desktops Benchmarked, Wayland vs. X.Org

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 19.04 Radeon Linux Gaming Performance: Popular Desktops Benchmarked, Wayland vs. X.Org

Phoronix: Ubuntu 19.04 Radeon Linux Gaming Performance: Popular Desktops Benchmarked, Wayland vs. X.Org

Leading up to the Ubuntu 19.04 release, several premium supporters requested fresh results for seeing the X.Org vs. Wayland performance overhead for gaming, how GNOME Shell vs. KDE Plasma is performing for current AMD Linux gaming, and related desktop comparison graphics/gaming metrics. Here are such benchmarks run from the Ubuntu 19.04 "Disco Dingo" while benchmarking GNOME Shell both with X.Org and Wayland, Xfce, MATE, Budgie, KDE Plasma, LXQt, and Openbox.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I get X.Org vs Wayland, but I am still surprised at the impact on 3D accelerated contexts in xorg vs xorg desktop environment comparisons.

Comment

Going from x.org 1.20.3 -> 1.20.4 helped a lot for games running through xwayland and I've been almost exclusively running Wayland since. Still some issues to be solved but overall things are really looking great for Wayland these days.

Comment

Thanks Michael I was looking for update benchmark of the different DE, at end not matter what you use it will be the same sometimes a few less or more frames but average is the same.

Comment

Originally posted by raonlinux View Post
          Thanks Michael I was looking for update benchmark of the different DE, at end not matter what you use it will be the same sometimes a few less or more frames but average is the same.
          You mean "in case everybody have Core i9 9900K" then...

I think that before conslusions similar test should be done on some APU or even laptop

Comment

I'm glad to see that Plasma performed well across the board. It's nice when actual benchmarks backup your anecdotal day-to-day experiences.

Pretty cool that all the desktop environments perform around the same level so it really doesn't matter which desktop we're using...just use what makes you happy and you'll probably be happy and no one can come along and say my setup is better than yours because they all take turns with the lead .

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

I think that before conslusions similar test should be done on some APU or even laptop
              Good point. I suppose some junker machine benchmarks comparing GPU or CPU limitations to a no-practical-limitations setup would be useful here...outside of 4K gaming, of course . Plasma or Gnome using more threads and GPU resources on, say, my mid-range machine that's only craptacular compared to the one in the benchmarks wouldn't be a fair showing of how a Wally-World A6 or Atom laptop would perform.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

haha you are right also I will like to be tested on other distro as Fedora (not my cup of tea Ubuntu ), but on my side I tested on my i5 6660k with different DE and is similar frames on average on each game with gnome, kde, budgie, lxqt, I3, XFCE and Mate.
                Of course if you use APU or laptop you may benefit using just plane openbox or at less lxqt with openbox, it will use less resource in general leaving them to use in any you need, at less is the ones I got a few higher frames than the others also use less ram , I understand your point if you are getting just 40~ 50 fps and using other DE make to reach 60fps you will see better performance then just seeing 220fps other de 240fps at that frame rate you won' t notice .

Comment

maybe looking into and benchmarking various applications (Firefox, Chrome, video editor etc.) between X.org vs. Wayland would be been more interesting, ..?

Comment

I think these benchmarks are unfortunately pointless. To make that change, it would need to be specified when an Xorg compositor is left on and when not. And the mere fps values also don't show if there is stutter introduced by the compositor or not.

Comment

Working...
                    X