No announcement yet.

ZFS On Linux 0.8.0 RC4 Up For Testing WIth TRIM, Native Encryption, Direct I/O

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZFS On Linux 0.8.0 RC4 Up For Testing WIth TRIM, Native Encryption, Direct I/O

Phoronix: ZFS On Linux 0.8.0 RC4 Up For Testing WIth TRIM, Native Encryption, Direct I/O

The ZFS On Linux (ZoL) crew released version 0.8-RC4 of their Linux file-system port today as the newest pre-release for this massive feature update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

None of linux file systems support TRIM feature till now!? It's absurd!
    Last edited by Azrael5; 17 April 2019, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
      None of linux file systems support TRIM feature till now!? It's absurd!
      Yeah they do. 99% of Linux on SSD setups have trim support.

Comment

Originally posted by hreindl View Post

what bullshit are you talking?

even ext4 on top of lvm-thin on top of mdraid supports trim through all layers for years

[root@master:~]$ fstrim -av
        /boot: 0 B (0 bytes) trimmed
        /: 242.8 MiB (254529536 bytes) trimmed
        Probably I've misunderstood this sentence:
        One big feature new to ZoL 0.8-RC4 is the long-awaited TRIM support for solid-state drives. That TRIM support was merged last month and should be in good shape for ZFS On Linux 0.8 and is the one big new feature for this fourth release candidate.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post

Probably I've misunderstood this sentence:
          One big feature new to ZoL 0.8-RC4 is the long-awaited TRIM support for solid-state drives. That TRIM support was merged last month and should be in good shape for ZFS On Linux 0.8 and is the one big new feature for this fourth release candidate.
          The trim is enabled by default on SSD intel and samsung in ext4, in Btrfs it should be enabled by default for all.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post

The trim is enabled by default on SSD intel and samsung in ext4, in Btrfs it should be enabled by default for all.
            You mean for other brand SSDs in ext4 it is not enabled?

oh crap

Comment

Sweet.

Trim is whatever but ZFS native encryption lets you encrypt a single dataset and archive it to the cloud without wrapping it in another layer breaking ZFS's delta copy.

Comment

Still using btrfs *shrug*

Maybe I'll try ZoL out some day? But not seeing a reason to switch.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post
                  Still using btrfs *shrug*

Maybe I'll try ZoL out some day? But not seeing a reason to switch.
                  Generally the reason would be data integrity but there is also some cross platform support with FreeNAS/MacOS X.
                  (not so much for mounting the pool, although that can be done if it's setup right.. but more so for mirroring datasets quickly with low cpu/network resources when doing the backups. ZFS is a very efficient delta copy because it's blocked based and it keeps track of changed blocks.)

It depends if you're a home user or not and how much you like your data I guess.
                  Last edited by k1e0x; 18 April 2019, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

Generally the reason would be data integrity but there is also some cross platform support with FreeNAS/MacOS X.
                    (not so much for mounting the pool, although that can be done if it's setup right.. but more so for mirroring datasets quickly with low cpu/network resources when doing the backups. ZFS is a very efficient delta copy because it's blocked based and it keeps track of changed blocks.)

It depends if you're a home user or not and how much you like your data I guess.
                    BTRFS does the same things and I use it for data integrity and efficient delta copies, hence not seeing a reason. But might try it out anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X