Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Rapid Progress Of The AV1 Video Format Over The Past Year

Phoronix: The Rapid Progress Of The AV1 Video Format Over The Past Year

Mozilla presented at the NAB Streaming Summit last week over the state of the royalty-free AV1 video format aiming to compete with H.265/HEVC and succeeding VP9 for open-source use-cases...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The PDF is a very interesting read: https://people.xiph.org/~negge/NAB2019.pdf
    There is also a citation and screenshot of Phoronix....

Comment

Presto is almost done encoding. It's just over five minutes and is coming up on 48 hours. I'm using libaom with cpu-used=1.

Comment

Originally posted by wswartzendruber View Post
        Presto is almost done encoding. It's just over five minutes and is coming up on 48 hours. I'm using libaom with cpu-used=1.
        LMAO! You can't make this stuff up. 48 hours to encode 5 minutes. According to the slides, the encoder is supposed to only be 3 times slower than x265.

This is basically going to be a Netflix/YouTube exclusive. Unless you are distributing videos to millions of people, it's just not worth it.

Comment

Too bad VVC (h266) is a year and a half away from finalization. AV1 is supposed to compete with h265, not h266. :'(

Comment

Originally posted by commodore256 View Post
            VVC (h266)
            If you're into future MPEG formats, look to EVC.

VVC looks to me as if determined to be yet another crippled license bastard that will take 10 years to adopt. What I think is necessary is a defensive development process (not just licensing talk in MC-IF), and to totally redefine FRAND licensing to actually permit free software implementations (as HEVC Advance began). EVC is doing the first, not the latter, but will at least have a royalty-free subset, which I think will help it a long way.
            Last edited by andreano; 17 April 2019, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post

LMAO! You can't make this stuff up. 48 hours to encode 5 minutes. According to the slides, the encoder is supposed to only be 3 times slower than x265.

This is basically going to be a Netflix/YouTube exclusive. Unless you are distributing videos to millions of people, it's just not worth it.
              That's libaom. If you tried to encode anything with the HEVC reference encoder, you may never complete it. If you are doing chunked steams like MPEG-DASH or HLS, sure it could cost a bit of money to run the machines, but you can get things encoded quickly, whether you're YouTube, Netflix, or just some dood with an AWS/GCE/Azure account.

Also, a single decent machine can encode AV1 at standard framerates and resolutions in real time right now, with SVT-AV1.
              Last edited by microcode; 17 April 2019, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post

If I would have used --cpu-used=5, it would have been done long ago. But I chose --cpu-used=1 on purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by wswartzendruber View Post

If I would have used --cpu-used=5, myfirstpremiercard it would have been done long ago. But I chose --cpu-used=1 on purpose.
                  I think is necessary is a defensive development process (not just licensing talk in MC-IF), and to totally redefine FRAND licensing to actually permit free software implementations, as HEVC Advance began.

Comment

Working...
                  X