CentOS Celebrating Its 15th Birthday As They Prepare For CentOS 8.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CentOS Celebrating Its 15th Birthday As They Prepare For CentOS 8.0

Phoronix: CentOS Celebrating Its 15th Birthday As They Prepare For CentOS 8.0

CentOS, the community enterprise operating system built from the sources of Red Hat Enterprise Linux, is marking its 15th birthday...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Having been part of the RHEL 8.0 Beta, I'm excited to get CentOS 8.0 up and running in my HomeLab. For those interested in what's changed: https://access.redhat.com/documentat...se_notes/index.

Comment

Pretty sure Red Hat will be releasing RHEL 8 @ Summit 2019. It's been in beta long enough, and my sources say it's ready to ship now, but it's so close to Summit time they're saving the big announcement for the event. Makes sense to me. Looking forward to it, we have 100+ RHEL servers at work that will need upgrading soon.

Comment

Can't wait for CentOS

Comment

Ooo I remember those 3D-ish icons from centos 5, lovely design and remind me of BeOS... the current flat design fashion isn't as beautiful

Comment

Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
            Ooo I remember those 3D-ish icons from centos 5, lovely design and remind me of BeOS... the current flat design fashion isn't as beautiful
            That is not totally not true. In some cases, over down without question. If it wasn't for the stupid telemetry, by default on online crap in Windows 10, it would be by far the best Windows ever. Yeah, not Posix or Unix like, but is darn good otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post
              it would be by far the best Windows ever.
              The best Windows ever... means that it is still a far way off from actually being good

But nope, because of the telemetry and other junk, Windows NT 3.51 remains the best.

Why Windows 3.51? Because whilst waiting for the PowerPC port, the Windows team ended up bug-fixing it for almost a year; making it pretty damn well tested and stable!

Yes, it may not have a modern C or C++ compiler available to it... but there is no reason why one couldn't be developed

Comment

Too bad for gnome3 and its horrible interface

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                  Windows NT 3.51 remains the best.
                  You meant Windows 7.

Why Windows 3.51? Because whilst waiting for the PowerPC port, the Windows team ended up bug-fixing it for almost a year; making it pretty damn well tested and stable!
                  Wow, bug-fixing for a year. What about Win7 that got basically put in bug and security patch only and remained like that for nearly a decade.

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post
                    That is not totally not true. In some cases, over down without question. If it wasn't for the stupid telemetry, by default on online crap in Windows 10, it would be by far the best Windows ever. Yeah, not Posix or Unix like, but is darn good otherwise.
                    I suggest to look for Windows Enterprise LTSB 2016, it's basically what Windows should have been, and will be supported until 2026. They changed the name for the future equivalents of it.

Too bad that you need businness volume license contracts or the usual (lllegal) KMS loaders you use to activate also normal Windows.

Comment

Working...
                    X