No announcement yet.

GStreamer 1.16 Is Nearly Ready With AV1 For Matroska/MP4 Containers, V4L HEVC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GStreamer 1.16 Is Nearly Ready With AV1 For Matroska/MP4 Containers, V4L HEVC

Phoronix: GStreamer 1.16 Is Nearly Ready With AV1 For Matroska/MP4 Containers, V4L HEVC

The GStreamer 1.16 cycle is slowly coming to an end and today marks the availability of the release candidate for this widely-used, open-source multimedia framework...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

AV1 is marching on. Good.

Comment

This looks like a great release.

Comment

If you want to know what has been in development since the 1.14 release, the presentations from last years GStreamer conference are great.

Comment

For those looking for a gstreamer build that has as many plugins as possible enabled (in many distributions, many of them are not available), I've been working on a rework of how gstreamer is built in Nix (which you can use on any distro), which will be merged quickly after 1.16 is released:

Based upon the (tiny) #54380; let's merge that first. (done) Wait for 1.16 to be released (#54398 (comment)) Fix any fallout when 1.16 is released Motivation for this change The latest gstreamer...

The switch to Meson helped a lot with that; quoting:

To ease maintainability and to ensure users will find the expected features available (and when not, will see in the nix file why not), we now pass the `-Dauto_features=enabled` Meson build flag to all gstreamer builds, which sets all `auto` dependencies to `enabled`, and we explicitly disable those that we can't build .
          This is in contrast to autoconf, where you can't easily do that (to my knowledge).

Comment

Originally posted by nh2_ View Post
            This is in contrast to autoconf, where you can't easily do that (to my knowledge).
            I suspect the Meson haters are going to prove you wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I suspect the Meson haters are going to prove you wrong
              I'd find that cool, because then the packager life could be improved quite a bit.

Comment

GStreamer 1.16 has now been released (19 April 2019).

It's included in Fedora 30.
                Last edited by PFee; 01 May 2019, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X