Trying Out The Radeon VII On Ubuntu 19.04 As Well As Linux 5.1 + Mesa 19.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying Out The Radeon VII On Ubuntu 19.04 As Well As Linux 5.1 + Mesa 19.1

Phoronix: Trying Out The Radeon VII On Ubuntu 19.04 As Well As Linux 5.1 + Mesa 19.1

Following yesterday's Ubuntu 18.10 vs. 19.04 Radeon gaming/graphics benchmarks I decided to try out the Radeon VII on Ubuntu 19.04, which should be working out-of-the-box given its use of Linux 5.0 and Mesa 19.0. Unfortunately, earlier Radeon VII (Vega 20) issues I've been encountering are still plaguing the card...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice article, maybe a bit longer than usual, but very insightful.

Comment

Sadly I think AMD has some serious issues with all of their GPUs. Ryzen Mobile still has issues.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
        Sadly I think AMD has some serious issues with all of their GPUs. Ryzen Mobile still has issues.
        Oh it does? What issues do you have? I have been very happy for a pretty long time now..

Comment

I've had no issues at all with my Radeon VII since launch on Manjaro, now meanwhile on kernel 5.0 + Mesa 19.0. Could be an Ubuntu issue, or the card itself. Or a failing PSU perhaps?

Comment

Ubuntu doesn't use the mainline kernels so I wouldn't be too surprised if it turns out to be caused by something they've added or removed (never bothered to compile an overview, but their non-mainline additions and removals have caused me headaches). Because of this and the kernels they do use typically being months out of date I personally use Ubuntu with a mainline kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by beniwtv View Post
              I've had no issues at all with my Radeon VII since launch on Manjaro, now meanwhile on kernel 5.0 + Mesa 19.0. Could be an Ubuntu issue, or the card itself. Or a failing PSU perhaps?
              Me too, the Radeon VII works perfectly fine on my Arch Linux box since launch!

Comment

There's a report on newegg of a similar repeated failure after an overheating event. User feels it was a faulty card, had to RMA.

Comment

pitiful

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael
                    All these users claiming it's perfect don't know what they are saying or they clearly don't use their computers enough.
                    Or, it could be you who has things set up incorrectly...
                    If there are people out there with the same hardware as you running the same application/game with the same drivers and they're not experiencing issues, it is you or your distro that's the problem.

Of course, that doesn't mean AMD's defaults don't need adjustment, because maybe they do. For example, I've had issues if I enabled DC/DAL, but since I have a R9 290, I don't really have any use for it and I think support is still experimental. If I don't use it, everything runs perfectly fine.

Comment

Working...
                    X