Improved Spectre/Meltdown Switches Might Finally Come To The Linux Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Improved Spectre/Meltdown Switches Might Finally Come To The Linux Kernel

Phoronix: Improved Spectre/Meltdown Switches Might Finally Come To The Linux Kernel

By the time the next Linux kernel is released it will have been roughly a year and a half since the Spectre and Meltdown CPU speculative execution vulnerabilities went public and the mitigations started appearing within the kernel. Finally now it's being discussed again by upstream developers over improving the switches / tunable knobs for easily configuring these performance-degrading mitigations...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Such a single command line switch would be very handy, indeed.

Comment

Finally my request has been heard. Too bad it's a semi-independent developer (he's from RH but I guess he did it by his own volition) who wrote the patches - not the people who implemented all these mitigations in the first place.

Comment

Yes!
        I think it should not be named after some specific vulnerability.
        What about "slow_mitigations="?

Comment

I am reading that mailing list thread and everyone seems very productive and polite. That's not my Linux! At this rate it might even be in the kernel before 2022!

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
            Finally my request has been heard. Too bad it's a semi-independent developer (he's from RH but I guess he did it by his own volition) who wrote the patches - not the people who implemented all these mitigations in the first place.
            Talk about damning with faint praise. You just can't resist injecting your vitriol into whatever discussion you have, can you? If you're filled with so much hate for Linux, why don't you just use another OS? Probably would be much better for your sanity. Of course if you moved to another OS, you wouldn't be able to get your jollies from trolling, so I suspect you will stick around and keep complaining.

Comment

Thanks for listing the lines in the article because I did forget to remember to create some unmitigated grub entries on this install.

phoronix
              As a suggestion, could you place the period on the outside of the quotation marks at the end of this sentence to assist with selecting the mitigations?
              At this stage to disable the mitigations on most patched Linux kernel releases it comes down to having to remember and add "pti=off spectre_v2=off l1tf=off nospec_store_bypass_disable."

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                phoronix
                As a suggestion, could you place the period on the outside of the quotation marks at the end of this sentence to assist with selecting the mitigations?
                I completely agree with this. I treat English like a programming language, and I get a little bit disturbed when I see a dot going inside quotes because to me that constitutes a syntax error.

Code:
                int main{ ()
                  printf("Hello World!\n;)"
                  return (0;})

Comment

Originally posted by sa666666 View Post
                  Talk about damning with faint praise. You just can't resist injecting your vitriol into whatever discussion you have, can you? If you're filled with so much hate for Linux, why don't you just use another OS? Probably would be much better for your sanity. Of course if you moved to another OS, you wouldn't be able to get your jollies from trolling, so I suspect you will stick around and keep complaining.
                  rofl. Just because he hates on Linux on a Linux board doesn't mean he doesn't hate on Windows on another board. He already has a full article (just like with Linux) on why Windows sucks anyway.

Comment

Oh no, it begins...

Comment

Working...
                    X