Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Current Windows 10 vs. Linux Browser Performance For Google Chrome + Mozilla Firefox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Current Windows 10 vs. Linux Browser Performance For Google Chrome + Mozilla Firefox

Phoronix: The Current Windows 10 vs. Linux Browser Performance For Google Chrome + Mozilla Firefox

Last week were tests looking at the Firefox/Chrome web browser performance on eight Linux distributions but how does the situation look if adding Microsoft Windows 10 to the equation? Well, this article addresses that question as we looking at how well Chrome and Firefox compare Windows 10 vs. Linux on the same system and using the latest releases of these web browsers.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm getting faster response times with the Firefox Nightly I built on Debian than anything on the windows systems at work. I'll need to run some tests.

Comment

IMHO, SUSE shouldn't be used in benchmarks until a script is made for the PTS that will disable some of their default settings like Baloo scanning the drive like crazy. The last time I let Baloo do its thing, Tumbleweed two months ago, it took 48 hours...and was the day I read the baloo man pages...

As a Manjaro user, I'm just glad our results didn't suck total ass.

As a Firefox user, there are quite a few options under about:config that need to be enabled for it to run a hell of a lot better. Google is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
        I'm getting faster response times with the Firefox Nightly I built on Debian than anything on the windows systems at work. I'll need to run some tests.
        Makes me wonder if the differences are simply from using settings normally disabled and hidden under about:config or if there was some other underlying framework change between now and nightly that is making it faster.

Comment

Michael
          Nice tests. I wonder how much of the performance difference is due to Spectre/Meltdown/etc. mitigation.
          Do you also have power consumption/battery life figures?
          Also I think ChromeOS results would be interesting here. Do you still own the Acer Chromebook C720?

Comment

The MotionMark results are really odd. On Windows, both browser use GPU accelerated graphics. In Linux at least Firefox doesn't (and it will stay that way until Webrender gets enabled by default). So how does the Skia software backend beats the Direct2D one?
            Maybe MotionMark just does very unrealistic things requiring lots of GPU uploads?

Personally I value the Speedometer results most, as it's the most realistic benchmark AFAIK. And by the way, that's the one where you can clearly see the compiler optimizations done for FF in Fedora (PGO/LTO).
            Last edited by treba; 03 April 2019, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Aside from SeleniumBenchmark: MotionMark, Windows wipes the floor with Linux.

Comment

it's so sad that i am on openSUSE Tumbleweed and it is the slowest...
                Would be interesting to know how the openSUSE's Leap version compares with the rest...

Is there a script that will run automatically and make all the things necessary to benchmark my current system?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by smartalgorithm View Post
                  it's so sad that i am on openSUSE Tumbleweed and it is the slowest...
                  Would be interesting to know how the openSUSE's Leap version compares with the rest...

Is there a script that will run automatically and make all the things necessary to benchmark my current system?

Thanks.
                  Yes, it's called phoronix test suite, lol.

Comment

this is one of the threads that make me ask myself:

1. I have better battery life in windows
                    2. I have games, ms office, photoshop and sony vegas on windows
                    3. browsers are faster on windows
                    4. My nvidia card works better, no CUDA, gcc and lower level compatibility issues

then I ask myself why am I here?

then I answer myself
                    1. In linux I can customize my desktop environment with convenient shortcuts
                    2. code compiles faster
                    3. I have more free RAM available
                    4. bash

Hope I don't ask myself for much longer..

Comment

Working...
                    X