KDE's Konsole Now Supports Splitting, Plasma Vault Integration In Dolphin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE's Konsole Now Supports Splitting, Plasma Vault Integration In Dolphin

Phoronix: KDE's Konsole Now Supports Splitting, Plasma Vault Integration In Dolphin

While spring has arrived, KDE developers remain as busy as ever on improving their open-source desktop environment and related components...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Uhm, Konsole supported splitting for ages now. My guess that the difference for the new implementation is "only" that you can now have both horizontal and vertical splitting, while so far you were restricted to a either horizontal or vertical splitting.
    So ... not really a big deal. Such splitting is mainly interesting for monitoring tasks and in this case I'd rather use tmux anyway, I think.
    Still, nice to have the feature.

Comment

Finally the ugly login button on the login screen is gone, this is a nice improvement! Overall it looks much better now. Regarding SDDM I wonder when Wayland will be support, this is open since ages without any progress.
      I do hope that the graphical rendering glitches on Wayland will be addressed before the release of Plasma 5.16. When reading Nate's blog these fundamental bugs see very seldom some love. It is usually only some polish on the interface.
      I need to try the new keyboard shortcuts, these are usually the things that work quite badly for me, not sure if you need to setup a new user account for this when upgrading from older versions.

Comment

I can't imagine splitting a console window into multiple sizes like that would be very useful or convenient. Perhaps you could have a smaller section showing the status of something while you are working in a larger section. But that just messes up the size of the larger section.

I really like Konsole, though like much of KDE it needs a bit of customization to make it perfect. I hide the menu bar and always show tabs above the terminal area. Then I set the background to 15% transparency with blur for a nice effect that's not too strong. Having the tabs function similar to a web browser is very useful and convenient. This is what I like about KDE: if you don't like the way something comes pre-configured, you can always customize it to be the way you want it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chugworth View Post
          I can't imagine splitting a console window into multiple sizes like that would be very useful or convenient. Perhaps you could have a smaller section showing the status of something while you are working in a larger section. But that just messes up the size of the larger section.

I really like Konsole, though like much of KDE it needs a bit of customization to make it perfect. I hide the menu bar and always show tabs above the terminal area. Then I set the background to 15% transparency with blur for a nice effect that's not too strong. Having the tabs function similar to a web browser is very useful and convenient. This is what I like about KDE: if you don't like the way something comes pre-configured, you can always customize it to be the way you want it.
          I can. You're on a laptop or have a smaller monitor and you need two terminals at once. Taskbar space is at a premium so you might not want two terminals on the bar since two terminals take up two places (grouping sucks, IMHO) as well as two windows takes up twice the desktop space...better to just split the space available depending on one's output needs in those circumstances.
          Last edited by skeevy420; 31 March 2019, 10:05 AM. Reason: two, not to

Comment

While the splitting is the most visible feature, Tomaz reworked lots of the internals. Session and tab handling was touched, f.ex., fixing other bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by Chugworth View Post
              I was going to say the same thing. If I really want multiple consoles, I'd rather just open up another window. Hardly takes up any more space and I could just overlap them a little bit if I really need more room to fit more, while keeping their original size.
              Or, you can just use something like the "screen" command, which is what I assumed everyone did who wanted to split their terminal.
              Haha pretty much the exact same thing here.
              I never understood why people reject KDE (or really any desktop environment) because of the default appearance. I understand if the default theme doesn't suit your tastes but it's not hard to tweak it to look different/better. This goes all the way back to the Windows XP days, where some people stuck with Windows 98 because they didn't like the "Fisher Price" look, even though it wasn't hard at all to replace it.

Comment

Splitting is nice and everything (when was the last time you wish you could do that and couldn't?), but it would have been nice if they fixed Konsole's theming instead. That bright menu bar stands out llike a sore thumb on a dark theme.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  This goes all the way back to the Windows XP days, where some people stuck with Windows 98 because they didn't like the "Fisher Price" look, even though it wasn't hard at all to replace it.
                  Heh. That XP look is half of what made me a Linux user. 2000 had all that I wanted in a Windows desktop -- it was plain and simple with no frills. XP was just ugly and bloated by comparison. Linux and the ability to set it up like I wanted with only the bloat I wanted sounded really appealing to me.

What we can do now compared to back then on Linux is just amazing...like playing 3d Windows games better than Windows...you'd have been told to put down the crack pipe if you made that comment back in the day...

Been a great 19 years of Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                    Splitting is nice and everything (when was the last time you wish you could do that and couldn't?), but it would have been nice if they fixed Konsole's theming instead. That bright menu bar stands out llike a sore thumb on a dark theme.
                    Konsole's menu bar respects the KDE widget theme just fine for me. Or are you referring to a different theme?

Comment

Working...
                    X