Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redox OS 0.5 Released With New C Library Written In Rust

Phoronix: Redox OS 0.5 Released With New C Library Written In Rust

It's been just over one year since the previous release of Redox OS while today this Rust-written operating system has finally been succeeded by Redox OS 0.5...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Really makes you wonder what the Hurd has been doing for the past 30 years

Comment

Originally posted by bachchain View Post
      Really makes you wonder what the Hurd has been doing for the past 30 years

Originally posted by Richard Stallman
      I am not very optimistic about the GNU HURD. It makes some progress,
      but to be really superior it would require solving a lot of deep
      problems. However, mainly what I think about the HURD is that
      finishing it is not crucial.

When we started the HURD, it was for a simple reason. The GNU system
      needed a kernel, and no usable kernel existed. We set out to
      write one.

That problem does not exist today. Linux works ok as a kernel.
      GNU's goal was to have a complete OS, including kernel, which was lacking. Linux filled this gap.

Redox's goal is to have a complete OS written in Rust, which is lacking, and nobody else has this gap filled yet.

Comment

I wonder what benchmarks for relibc look like.

Comment

Linus pounded out Linux from scratch in less than a year (using GNU tools and MINIX). HURD started with an already written kernel (Mach by CMU) and where are they now after decades? lol

I'd be interested in benchmarks of this OS too. I just can't get in to Rust. It's like someone took ADA, Erlang, and C and mashed them together in an unholy mess. Reminds me of the Scala crapfest.
          Last edited by linner; 24 March 2019, 10:29 PM.

Comment

I wonder how often they're using unsafe code to speed things up.

EDIT: Looks like they're only using it where required.

Last edited by wswartzendruber; 24 March 2019, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Unsafe is not about speeding things up, it's about enabling you to do things, which would otherwise forbidden. Like dereferencing pointers. And about using unsafe API. Think of it like telling the compiler you've checked the guarantees for dereferencing pointers or the beforesaid API yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by linner View Post
                Linus pounded out Linux from scratch in less than a year (using GNU tools and MINIX). HURD started with an already written kernel (Mach by CMU) and where are they now after decades? lol

I'd be interested in benchmarks of this OS too. I just can't get in to Rust. It's like someone took ADA, Erlang, and C and mashed them together in an unholy mess. Reminds me of the Scala crapfest.
                Sounds more like you have some serious issues learning new languages.

Comment

Rust language will not die unless Firefox dies. They are introducing more and more Rust code in Firefox each day. And one of the reasons for the big performance improvement in Firefox Quantum is Rust. In Quantum it was the first time they introduced a big chunk of Rust code.

About Redox OS, I do not think they plan to replace Linux with it, I think about it more like a proof of concept to demonstrate that Rust is a perfectly valid language for systems programming. Maybe something like Servo, the experimental browser from Mozilla completely written in Rust.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

When the Mozilla foundation has no resources to support the Alsa audio in Firefox, it is stupid to expect much from their programming language and OS.
                    Since sound people invent new programming languages?

Comment

Working...
                    X