No announcement yet.

GNU Linux-libre 5.0-gnu Released As A Kernel Without Any Binary Blobs/Firmware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU Linux-libre 5.0-gnu Released As A Kernel Without Any Binary Blobs/Firmware

Phoronix: GNU Linux-libre 5.0-gnu Released As A Kernel Without Any Binary Blobs/Firmware

As usual, following yesterday's release of Linux 5.0 the GNU/FSF folks have put out their re-base of their version of the Linux kernel that strips out support for drivers depending upon binary-only firmware, the ability to load non-free (closed-source) kernel modules, and other functionality removed that isn't in strict compliance with open-source standards...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It is so ironic this "libre" kernel strips away my freedom to load binary blobs and proprietary software.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      It is so ironic this "libre" kernel strips away my freedom to load binary blobs and proprietary software.
      It's only freedom if you do it the way they want you to do it.

Comment

Considering that you can't do as much with these blobs as you can with the rest of the kernel, and that you don't even get the source code for them, it's freer. Also, if you want to use a non-free kernel, nothing is stopping you from grabbing a copy.

Comment

Does there "blobfree magic" also prevent one from using closed sources drivers, like i.e nvidiadrivers ?

Comment

Originally posted by mrazster View Post
            Does there "blobfree magic" also prevent one from using closed sources drivers, like i.e nvidiadrivers ?
            Yes binary kernel drivers cant be loaded
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I had a taste of "freedom" when I first bought my current video card. I had to use fglrx (they were calling it "crimson beta" at the time), and I found that they changed a lot of symbols in the kernel to "GPL-only" and the kernel build system itself was sabotaging the linking of the driver. A bit of editing, and lying to the kernel build system using a null character in the module license string, got it to compile. Ironically, that was the best fglrx experience ever for me, I had not one problem. I stayed with Linux 4.2.0 and that driver for more than a year, until amdgpu was good.

That royally pissed me off at the time. It made me never want to upgrade my kernel again. Of course, it's all good now and I'm glad of it. It's not that I really wanted to use a proprietary driver, I NEEDED It and that's the point.

Comment

You can install proprietary software all day long, the Libre kernel has no control over that. if you use a Libre distro that enforces a proprietary software blacklist, like Parabola was doing last I used it, then you'll have to find a way to edit the blacklist before adding the software via the package manager.

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Yes binary kernel drivers cant be loaded
                I thought there was a way to force a binary driver to load, but I don't recall for certain. I tried some hacks a few years ago to get a wireless card running just for fun. Not sure why anyone would ever use Libre-linux kernel if they DID want to load a binary driver though. Other than just wasting time on a hobby project like with that wireless card I had.

The machines I run the Libre kernel on actually run better for me than if I try to run them with the regular kernel. I'm sure part of that is because I'm compiling my own Libre kernels. Also, I'm pretty sure compile times are shorter with Libre. If you have a laptop like I'm using right now with an i3 that's a few years old and intel integrated graphics and a Libre-compatible wifi card, it's worth it to try it out and see how it responds. Download and run Trisquel as a live ISO - see how it works for you. Libre distros like Trisquel are way beyond what they used to be. You really can't tell the difference for the most part, as long as your hardware is compatible. Not for modern non-Intel gaming, but the rest of it - really not much difference.

Comment

Would this libre make a difference in performance?
                  Only CPU benchmarking it.
                  Libre kernel + clear linux, anyone tested?

Comment

Originally posted by prec View Post
                    Would this libre make a difference in performance?
                    Only CPU benchmarking it.
                    Libre kernel + clear linux, anyone tested?
                    They are just removing "non-free" bits, not anything to optimize performance. With most of those bits already in modules, it won't affect the size of the kernel loaded into memory or the like, so not likely to be any performance change.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X