Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 19.0-RC6 Released With Many Intel & Radeon Fixes

Phoronix: Mesa 19.0-RC6 Released With Many Intel & Radeon Fixes

Mesa 19.0-RC6 is now available for testing and it's quite a big update for this stage of development. Particularly if you are a RADV/RadeonSI AMD Linux user, this update is quite notable...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Lets compile that candidate that against llvm8 candidate

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Use Padoka ppa, no need to compile anything.
      Not all of us like using PPAs and community repositories and would rather compile it ourselves. IMHO, they're OK for one or two non-system packages when the PPA contains all the dependencies and doesn't replace any OS libraries or binaries. I've just had too many issues over the years when using PPAs that replace critical system packages. PPA issues made me an Arch user. Arch issues made me a Manjaro user...test systemd more dammit...

My anecdotal evidence shows my systems tend to run more stable when I build everything locally versus installing software compiled by who knows.

Plus you get to optimize for your system and/or use more aggressive compiler flags. I consider that an extra benefit since I mainly compile for stability and ensured compatibility due to the aforementioned anecdotal evidence.

Comment

I'm running both llvm and mesa from git :P

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Use Padoka ppa, no need to compile anything.
          Beside trolling, how do you know that people does not have a need to compile anything?

You are trolling for 3 years here, how people should compile kernels, but on the other side you know (as some bird told you likely) that one have no need to compile anything else

I can't see any sense in such logic really , so here is the 101% troll award for your empty brain
          Last edited by dungeon; 27 February 2019, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Beside trolling, how do you know that people does not have a need to compile anything?

You are trolling for 3 years here, how people should compile kernels, but on the other side you know (as some bird told you likely) that one have no need to compile anything else

I can't see any sense in such logic really , so here is the 101% troll award for your empty brain
            Gentoo, because, compile everything

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
              Gentoo, because, compile everything
              That and LFS (Linux from Scratch) is just other side of another extreme and great way to waste your time, as i don't think every user machine should constantly be build machine too

I could only understand developers who uses Gentoo or some Gentoo user if he have separate build machine and same another one that he actually use
              Last edited by dungeon; 27 February 2019, 02:27 PM.

Comment

That and LFS (Linux from Scratch) is just other side of another extreme and great way to waste your time, as i don't think every user machine should constantly be build machine too

I could only understand developers who uses Gentoo or some Gentoo user if he have separate build machine and same another one that he actually use
                I usually just have something compiling in the background, thought it is a pain in a VM on my underpowered work laptop - work thought it was a good idea to replace a 2 year old laptop (skylake) with 16GB of RAM with a surface (kabylake) with 8GB of RAM which I'm forced to use HyperV

Comment

For Gentoo:
                  Code:
                  PORTAGE_IONICE_COMMAND="ionice -c 3 -p \${PID}"
                  PORTAGE_NICENESS=19
                  Just add that to /etc/portage/make.conf and unless your machine is memory chalenged you won't even notice it in the background.

And stop comparing Gentoo to LFS, there is nothing similar about them. Gentoo is a distribution, with a package manager, while LFS is a document explaining how you could pile up together something that resembles a distribution.

Comment

Working...
                  X