Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nouveau Changes Sent In To DRM-Next For Linux 5.1 - Biggest Update In Several Releases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau Changes Sent In To DRM-Next For Linux 5.1 - Biggest Update In Several Releases

Phoronix: Nouveau Changes Sent In To DRM-Next For Linux 5.1 - Biggest Update In Several Releases

Ben Skeggs, the Nouveau DRM maintainer employed by Red Hat, has sent in the big batch of open-source NVIDIA driver changes slates for the upcoming Linux 5.1 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I love the Nouveau news. Thanks Michael.

Comment

Isn't this coming in too late for Kernel 5.1? Also Dave is pushing back on some forced dependencies on HMM

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
        Isn't this coming in too late for Kernel 5.1?
        Technically, yes, but Nouveau often comes in late and still accepted... Either due to internal RH communication/alignment between Ben and Dave, the risk of regressing the already basic support is low, or other factors, but it's not the first time that the PRs have been sent in days late and still should end up getting pulled in.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

When I try to visualize nouveau developers at work, I see technology flagellants. Their intentions are noble, their endurance astonishing, their spirit unbroken, and yet their goal ("on-par nVidia open source drivers") unreachable, as their god refuses to listen to their prayers.

Comment

NVIDIA should really embrace Nouveau, their proprietary driver is fast and all but has many annoying issues which are simply not being addressed by NVIDIA. And the community can't do zip about it but put up (and bug report it in hopes things get fixed).

Comment

Working...
            X