AMD Prepping Compute Shader Support For Video Compositor Rendering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Prepping Compute Shader Support For Video Compositor Rendering

Phoronix: AMD Prepping Compute Shader Support For Video Compositor Rendering

AMD's Linux graphics deriver developers are preparing a set of Mesa patches that allow for compute shaders to be used for the video compositor render process within Gallium3D's video layer code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What's this going to be used for? Hybrid video decode acceleration? AMD now ships older APUs that don't have full VP9 decode acceleration in Chromebooks. I'm sure Google is interested in at least *some* VP9 acceleration. So is this going to be used for hybrid VP9 decode acceleration, like on Windows?

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
      What's this going to be used for? Hybrid video decode acceleration? AMD now ships older APUs that don't have full VP9 decode acceleration in Chromebooks. I'm sure Google is interested in at least *some* VP9 acceleration. So is this going to be used for hybrid VP9 decode acceleration, like on Windows?
      From my point of view tp this article:
      It seems that some parts of driver / graphics API will not run on CPU but on GPU.

It can lower data transfers between CPU and GPU and it may speed up GPU friver significantly.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Fodrek View Post

From my point of view tp this article:
        It seems that some parts of driver / graphics API will not run on CPU but on GPU.

It can lower data transfers between CPU and GPU and it may speed up GPU friver significantly.

Sounds like good news. Hopefully we will be able to see improvements "soon"

Comment

How about some hardware to go with it? People are laughing in 2080 Ti soon enough, while AMD has been only doing software in the last few years. Poor Volta, I guess.

Comment

eydee You realize they are releasing a 7nm Vega20 in less than one week, right?

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
              How about some hardware to go with it? People are laughing in 2080 Ti soon enough, while AMD has been only doing software in the last few years. Poor Volta, I guess.
              AMD is making its Software transition to AMDGPU,
              And so, it makes a lot of sense in optimizing the drivers, also this optimizations will help new hardware, like the 7nm VII
              Software Optimization is a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                Considering the price point and disappointment of RTX, I don't think too many 2080Ti owners should be laughing.

Besides - this is an optimization feature. If you're going to have inferior performance (like AMD) might as well maximize it as much as you can.

Comment

Typo !

AMD's Linux graphics deriver developers

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
                    It is used for video processing functions, like upscaling, sharpening, de-interlacing, etc. that low-end/older hardware requires CPU resources to use. HVD is a different thing.

Comment

Working...
                    X