Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Purism Shares The Progress Made On Their Librem 5 Smartphone For The End Of 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purism Shares The Progress Made On Their Librem 5 Smartphone For The End Of 2018

Phoronix: Purism Shares The Progress Made On Their Librem 5 Smartphone For The End Of 2018

The folks at Purism have shared their latest status update on the Librem 5 Linux-powered, security-minded smartphone they plan to begin shipping in the months ahead...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great overall. But...:

- The asterisk and number sign in the dialer still look too small.
    - That incoming call window doesn't start up in fullscreen, but only does so after 0.5 seconds.
    - Why couldn't you use something like :santa: (which is pretty much standard) rather than SANTA? Somebody who writes in all caps WILL GET HIS/HER 📄 📲 🔩ED UP...
    - Hopefully the turning-emoji-off feature can be set through an option in the settings menu besides being a command.
    - Pop-up dialogs could potentially be full-screen. Oh yes, we're finally seeing GNOME's true power!
    - Chatty's icon looks inconsistent with the Adwaita theme.
    Last edited by tildearrow; 09 January 2019, 01:40 PM.

Comment

I'm hopeful for this project!

Comment

Hope they deliver, I don't want to buy Android phone.

Comment

Hello purisms

Building a monostructure was never the strength of libre software, and current
          backers are the best you are going to get for accepting more choice, and the
          best at making the best of them, for you.

The early excitement of the different DEs finally getting their device,
          seemed like what a lot of them had tried to do, failing on their own to do it.
          The idea of competition felt like the world cup of getting Linux on the device of choice,
          on home ground.

The security and freedom aspect ties into offering on something that other hardware lacks.
          The challenge of selling what has been sold, was not that of polished software out of the box.

Throw KDE a bone, and anyone else willing to put anything on the plate,
          who orders more phones, who delivers?

The "I can have be mobile OS business" is a game with a lot of historic wreckage, and little
          choice in the matter of what train to board, years on from being the wrong time.

UBports seems to have latched onto some vision, projecting a hopeful rise of what is now
          a lot of ash. I think they likely could play into things with more enthusiasm to the outside world
          than Purism running software sometimes alone, or with others into just one direction.

Comment

Most interesting: driver development for gpu and hardware decoder.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedator View Post
              Most interesting: driver development for gpu and hardware decoder.
              yes but no. A good GPU driver is useless if you have nothing to display except a console. I don't suppose you'll want to play videos from the intertubes using the ffmpeg command line...

Comment

I find these mockups weirdly refreshing in a world of flat design. I mean they still look horribly outdated (like some Android skin from 2010) yet they somehow have a fresh look at the same time.

Comment

But that's what I do. youtube-dl and mpv... No ads and freedom to view the entire video without stutter or connection when you want it.

I wish there was an easy and convenient way to do that on Android...

Originally posted by Serafean View Post

yes but no. A good GPU driver is useless if you have nothing to display except a console. I don't suppose you'll want to play videos from the intertubes using the ffmpeg command line...

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
                    yes but no. A good GPU driver is useless if you have nothing to display except a console.
                    you can install any distro on phone when it has driver. so just yes

Comment

Working...
                    X