Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam On Linux Usage Ended 2018 At Around 0.82%

Phoronix: Steam On Linux Usage Ended 2018 At Around 0.82%

With the start of a new month brings the Steam Survey results for the month prior where we see the Linux gaming market-share ending at a high point for the year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

From 90 million monthly active steam users,

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...y-active-users

0.82% should be about 740.000... so not bad

As Windows XP is good bye from Steam now it might increase a bit
    Last edited by dungeon; 01 January 2019, 10:57 PM.

Comment

I imagine once PUBG works [well] with Proton, the percentage might increase much closer to 1%. That still tops Steam's sales charts pretty much every month and it's rated Borked on protondb.com. Most of the other popular games are at least playable.
      Also, Uplay is probably a major damper for people transitioning to Linux. It's not too hard to get it to work in Wine, but it doesn't work well with Proton.

Comment

Wow! I just logged into steam and got a survey for the first time on a huge time!

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          I imagine once PUBG works [well] with Proton
          It's not going to work: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Pro...ment-443852448

But PUBG and Fortnite is peaked anyway, so gamers will slowly move to something else from now on.

Comment

Maybe Valve should de-emphasize the term "SteamOS" from their store and instead emphasize the "Linux". Nobody I know uses SteamOS or even know what it is, thus "SteamOS + Linux" looks weird. I also know that even though I am a Linux I don't care about SteamOS any more than I care about what OS my playstation has inside. SteamOS will be used on their own hardware when and if that ever happens. Also they should inform everyone and in an official manner about this proton functionality, what it does and how it is activated and what option should they should be using. Personally I tried it first time during the holidays and I had to search in google and youtube to learn how it is supposed to work. The Linux experience is not ready yet for the masses IMO, which is a shame because the technical challenges are already there.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
              Maybe Valve should de-emphasize the term "SteamOS" from their store and instead emphasize the "Linux". Nobody I know uses SteamOS or even know what it is, thus "SteamOS + Linux" looks weird. I also know that even though I am a Linux I don't care about SteamOS any more than I care about what OS my playstation has inside. SteamOS will be used on their own hardware when and if that ever happens. Also they should inform everyone and in an official manner about this proton functionality, what it does and how it is activated and what option should they should be using. Personally I tried it first time during the holidays and I had to search in google and youtube to learn how it is supposed to work. The Linux experience is not ready yet for the masses IMO, which is a shame because the technical challenges are already there.
              Steam OS is just a defined subset of Linux.
              It's IA32 and Ubuntu based.

Maybe they fear problems if they use the term Linux solely and it doesn't run on Arm?

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
                Wow! I just logged into steam and got a survey for the first time on a huge time!
                I cant remember when was the last time I got a survey. It was years ago ...

The Steam client is basically a glorified web browser.
                Why can't they send the the OS string when you log in or something ...
                Or ask people once per month.
                Last edited by Raka555; 02 January 2019, 05:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
                  It's not going to work: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Pro...ment-443852448

But PUBG and Fortnite is peaked anyway, so gamers will slowly move to something else from now on.
                  if they were running on linux (natively and with better perf) many more people would switch. Fortnite is huge and people seek performace gains.

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post

I cant remember when was the last time I got a survey. It was years ago ...

The Steam client is basically a glorified web browser.
                    Why can't they send the the OS string when you log in or something ...
                    Or ask people once per month.
                    i receive only one survey per year,
                    i think that every user receive only 1 survey every year

Comment

Working...
                    X