Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Many Features Coming To The Wine 4.0 Stable Release From Vulkan To New Input Devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Many Features Coming To The Wine 4.0 Stable Release From Vulkan To New Input Devices

Phoronix: The Many Features Coming To The Wine 4.0 Stable Release From Vulkan To New Input Devices

January should bring the release of Wine 4.0 as the annual stable release of this software for running Windows applications/games on Linux. As Wine 4.0 continued to be developed over the course of bi-weekly development releases all year, here's a look back at the notable features to find with this upcoming Wine 4.0.0 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Really impressed by this years progress on Wine, and it does wonders for the linux community as a whole (enabling gaming is both great for existing users and to build a larger user base). Awesome work!

Anyone know what the status is for Wine on wayland?

Comment

Originally posted by stingray454 View Post
      The same as on Wine for MacOS, it requires a Xserver, because of mimimi (and nobody who wants to re-work that)
      So in short: there is no progress and nothing planned for the near future.

But given that wayland itself is right now at the starting point, there is no need to rush at all. Let KDE, XFCE and the others make a nice-to-use wayland-ready-compositor at first.

Comment

Originally posted by stingray454 View Post
        Really impressed by this years progress on Wine, and it does wonders for the linux community as a whole (enabling gaming is both great for existing users and to build a larger user base). Awesome work!

well, i mean, valve is in it now, we should expect improvements to fly.

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post
          But given that wayland itself is right now at the starting point, there is no need to rush at all. Let KDE, XFCE and the others make a nice-to-use wayland-ready-compositor at first.
          KDE already has one. Even ignoring Wayland, XFCE is a bit outdated.

Originally posted by sireangelus View Post
          well, i mean, valve is in it now, we should expect improvements to fly.
          I'm not really sure how much Valve cares about Wayland. I'm sure they're not against it, but I don't think it's much of a priority to them either. I think they care more about increasing the compatibility of Proton.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            Even ignoring Wayland, XFCE is a bit outdated.
            Shhhh, don't let debianxfce hear you! :P

Comment

Nope KDE does not have one. Wayland breaks many applications for productional usage.

Comment

Working...
              X