Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Lot Of AMDGPU DC Fixes, New VegaM PCI ID Line Up For Linux 4.21

Phoronix: A Lot Of AMDGPU DC Fixes, New VegaM PCI ID Line Up For Linux 4.21

A few days back the DRM feature updates landed in Linux 4.21 with AMDGPU FreeSync support and a variety of other improvements. With all of the AMDGPU changes at play, it's now time to fix up the code with some early fallout...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

At this point who truly cares? Most sane people are waiting for post 7nm Zen2 and PCI-E 4.0 motherboards. AMD has taken 24 months to get to this point and personally I'm fatigued at the pace. Anyone who speaks about the advantages of FOSS has never worked in Apple Engineering and around their I/O Team. When all you do is design GPUs and CPUs you should have far better results. That goes for Intel as well. Nvidia gets a pass as they don't give a flying frack about FOSS.

Wake me when Zen2 and Navi 7nm on PCI-E 4.0 is ready and available from Gigabyte, ASUS, MSI, XFX, Sapphire, etc. Until then, we already know 99% of the focus is the Data Center/Enterprise space until this arrives.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
      When all you do is design GPUs and CPUs you should have far better results.
      Huh, I've had pretty good luck with my hardware (an older Godavari and a 2200G) on the amdgpu driver. I suppose it's possible I've just been lucky.

Comment

At this point who truly cares? Most sane people are waiting for post 7nm Zen2 and PCI-E 4.0 motherboards.
        Wake me when Zen2 and Navi 7nm on PCI-E 4.0 is ready and available
        What kind of workloads you have in mind? PCI-E 3.0 16x is too slow for you?

Comment

Anyone who speaks about the advantages of FOSS has never worked in Apple Engineering and around their I/O Team. When all you do is design GPUs and CPUs you should have far better results.
          Apple should really not be called in as a comparison when they support only a few handpicked hardware configurations they control down to the board firmware level and their OS is so shitty that it can't run at all without significant assistance on normal consumer hardware.

Comment

At this point who truly cares?
            A lot of people. I am still waiting for a fix so that the driver does not show a blank screen on my ultrawidescreen monitor with my RX460 graphics card. I will be testing the rc1 to see if it has finally been fixed.

(It does work-ish on the older non-dc code paths where a 1080p resolution works, but native resolution is garbled.)

Comment

I like this, will wait torvalds kernel merge it and hope 75hz bug is fixed
              edit: decided to take a peak and its not
              agd5f Do you have any news about this ? https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=102646 year old critical bug on my RX 580
              Last edited by clapbr; 29 December 2018, 10:37 PM.

Comment

What is needed for using SR-IOV on AMD GPUs? Is it just kernel support or firmware needs modifications too?

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                  What is needed for using SR-IOV on AMD GPUs? Is it just kernel support or firmware needs modifications too?
                  Vega only afaik

Comment

Originally posted by clapbr View Post

Vega only afaik
                    I thought right now it's not possible with Vega as well. How can one use it?

Comment

Working...
                    X