Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon Linux Driver Picks Up Support For Another Vega M GPU

Phoronix: Radeon Linux Driver Picks Up Support For Another Vega M GPU

It looks like Intel might soon be launching a new CPU with the onboard Radeon "Vega M" graphics as another PCI ID was just added to the open-source Linux graphics driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is this one of those fill the missing number tasks? We had i7 and i5 so naturally next comes i3. (Hint: complex numbers.)

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post
      Is this one of those fill the missing number tasks? We had i7 and i5 so naturally next comes i3. (Hint: complex numbers.)
      Complex numbers? Then why is there Xeon E3/E5/E7, Core m3/m5/m7, Radeon R5/R7/R9 and Ryzen 3/5/7?

More like odd number suffixes.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Complex numbers? Then why is there Xeon E3/E5/E7, Core m3/m5/m7, Radeon R5/R7/R9 and Ryzen 3/5/7?

More like odd number suffixes.
        It was just a joke about i3, i5 and i7. You know, there is nothing real about them.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post
          Is this one of those fill the missing number tasks?
          Nope, it is just Polaris Era of mass production So, 73 Polarises and counting in 2.5 years, not bad

Kind of new ID every 10 days on average
          Last edited by dungeon; 20 December 2018, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Who cares? 99% of these card varieties never arrive or they are 18 months behind schedule. The only aspect AMD is hitting grand slams on is the CPU division. The GPU divisions is a dumpster fire of mismanagement.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
              The only aspect AMD is hitting grand slams on is the CPU division. The GPU divisions is a dumpster fire of mismanagement.
              I do not see mismanagement on the side of AMD. Polaris and Vega GPUs have the best performance/price ratio and are clearly the way to go for Linux gamers currently. The architecture is successfully integrated in consoles and also AMD and Intel CPUs.
              An example for real mismanagement is, in my opinion Nvidias problem with all these GTX 1060-GPUs that remain in stock and the whole RTX-Series including the Raytracing marketing. It was clear that their decisions would put customers off on the long term. I'm sure they already regret to having built too big and expensive GPUs with useless features - at least regarding the current technical state.
              Intel have also made many mistakes which causes mid term issues for them, but seem to have stabilized with the right decisions for the long term.

We will surely see many more CPUs with a strong IGP in the future and hopefully a memory architecture that suits the new demands much better. I see AMD and Intel as strong competitors on this market in the future but I don't see Nvidia.

Comment

It's the pro wx vega m : https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=109115

Comment

Originally posted by oooverclocker View Post

I do not see mismanagement on the side of AMD. Polaris and Vega GPUs have the best performance/price ratio and are clearly the way to go for Linux gamers currently. The architecture is successfully integrated in consoles and also AMD and Intel CPUs.
                  An example for real mismanagement is, in my opinion Nvidias problem with all these GTX 1060-GPUs that remain in stock and the whole RTX-Series including the Raytracing marketing. It was clear that their decisions would put customers off on the long term. I'm sure they already regret to having built too big and expensive GPUs with useless features - at least regarding the current technical state.
                  Intel have also made many mistakes which causes mid term issues for them, but seem to have stabilized with the right decisions for the long term.

We will surely see many more CPUs with a strong IGP in the future and hopefully a memory architecture that suits the new demands much better. I see AMD and Intel as strong competitors on this market in the future but I don't see Nvidia.
                  Though I prefer AMD for philosophical reasons,.. I will never buy nvidia, because of their monopolistic approach all together completely focused on closed-source.

Nvidia rules in market, because 99% of (powerful) GPU users are gamers. And, Nvidia focuses on gaming, therefore even without those fancy features not useful for games, nvidia dominates.

Comment

Originally posted by xxmitsu View Post
                    That certainly makes sense.
                    I was surprised that no one had thought of mentioning the newer, unreleased i5/i7-88xxG CPUs.

Comment

Working...
                    X