No announcement yet.

The Intel Linux Discrete GPU Driver Updated -- For Their Two Decade Old i740

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Intel Linux Discrete GPU Driver Updated -- For Their Two Decade Old i740

Phoronix: The Intel Linux Discrete GPU Driver Updated -- For Their Two Decade Old i740

While we are all super anxious to learn more about the Intel discrete graphics card offerings planned for their initial debut in 2020, in representing the beauty of open-source, there was an open-source Linux display driver update on Thursday for their "original" discrete card: the Intel740...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I still have an i740 card lying around.... Not sure if I have an AGP mobo though!

Comment

Originally posted by gururise View Post
      I still have an i740 card lying around.... Not sure if I have an AGP mobo though!
      Same here except that I know I have one lying around. Maybe it's time to break it out. Hmm, the challenge might be to find a 64 bit motherboard with AGP!

Comment

Originally posted by willmore View Post

Same here except that I know I have one lying around. Maybe it's time to break it out. Hmm, the challenge might be to find a 64 bit motherboard with AGP!
        I'm sure you're not looking to buy any new ancient hardware, but some Athlon 64 X2 motherboards (s939) had AGP slots. Some even had dual support for AGP and PCI-Express.

That being said... I'm possibly about to go buy a PCI->USB host adapter for my old Compaq (née DEC) Alpha PWS system, so I'm not really one to judge.

Comment

Yeah. Lets get rid of 32-bit support and keep old gfx stuff around that were crap even to begin with.
          Maybe it's time for X to purge some old, likely unused, code?

Comment

I had one of those cards. Big selling point for me was mpeg2 decoding acceleration for DVD playback.

Comment

pure click bait, just simple compile fixes, nothing performance, / features wise.

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
                pure click bait, just simple compile fixes, nothing performance, / features wise.
                Of course, several more clicks and comments than users of i740 worlwide

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
                  Yeah. Lets get rid of 32-bit support and keep old gfx stuff around that were crap even to begin with.
                  The xf86-video-* drivers are not part of the xserver code. They are separate and you don't need to install every graphics driver out there.
                  You can also add new and remove old xf86-video-* drivers without touching the Xorg server code itself.

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
                    But nothing is ever unused, if the community is to be believed. Remove as less as 1 character from the code and the community will explode "NO I'M STILL USING IT/I KNOW A COMPANY THAT STILL USES IT/YOU DON'T KNOW IF ANYONE IS STILL USING IT, etc.".

Comment

Working...
                    X