Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Iris Gallium3D Open-Source Driver Continues Speeding Along

Phoronix: Intel Iris Gallium3D Open-Source Driver Continues Speeding Along

Fresh out of the US holiday weekend, the Intel Iris Gallium3D driver that is forming as the company's future OpenGL Linux driver with better performance potential and modern design, saw a number of new code commits...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Have they wired up the vaapi or vdpau state trackers yet?

Comment

Intels VAAPI driver is entirely independent of mesa, and I doubt that's going to change.

Comment

Very exciting to see real progress on this. Is there any info on performance yet?

Comment

Originally posted by BtbN View Post
          Intels VAAPI driver is entirely independent of mesa, and I doubt that's going to change.
          That's sad
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

That's sad
            Why? I don't see any benefit from adding an indirection layer via mesa there.

Comment

Why? I don't see any benefit from adding an indirection layer via mesa there.
              Its still preferable for general desktop stability to have shared codebases for things like hardware video. There have been plenty of times where (mostly on the AMD side) one of their implementations is non-conforming or broken and it is what lead a lot of software like OBS to take so long to enable it.

A lot of that comes from duplicated work. Its why Intel would bother to invest so much effort in rewriting their driver for Gallium now, when several years ago when questioned about it Intel devs said it would have been too much effort to do.

The longer you maintain a project for the most appreciative you are of shared code. When first starting out its a pain because its inflexible and may not conform to your mental model, but wait a few years and the technical debt of maintaining your own implementations will cost you a lot more in the long run.

Comment

This is something we've discussed actually, so I wouldn't be so sure. The existing libva implementation for Intel is not... great. Personally I'd love to have at least decode-only support wired up to the VA and VDPAU state trackers.

Comment

Arch users may install try it by mesa-intel-iris-git and lib32-mesa-intel-iris-git packages from AUR.

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post
                    Very exciting to see real progress on this. Is there any info on performance yet?
                    Performance is still worse than i965, and that's expected - I haven't hooked up fast clears, color compression, hierarchical Z, or any of the other major bandwidth saving features. Been trying to finish up missing features and functional regressions first. That's getting closer, there are about 210 Piglit regressions (vs i965) and 560 OpenGL CTS failures. So, working on performance will probably come soon. I've also been cleaning up a bunch of prep work for merging, but there's more to do there too.
                    Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
                    Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

Working...
                    X