No announcement yet.

Fedora Perfecting Their Flicker-Free Boot Experience With A New Plymouth Theme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Perfecting Their Flicker-Free Boot Experience With A New Plymouth Theme

Phoronix: Fedora Perfecting Their Flicker-Free Boot Experience With A New Plymouth Theme

The recent release of Fedora 29 the long-desired goal of a flicker-free boot experience to the Linux desktop was finally achieved... Well, assuming you are for now using Intel graphics and set a couple extra settings and don't have any quirky hardware. While all of the key components are in place, for Fedora 30 and beyond they will likely be taking care of the "rough edges" and already there is work on a new Plymouth boot theme for pairing with this flicker-free boot process...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

YES! I wanted to talk about this.

OK, so a week ago I tried patching GRUB with some of the Fedora patches to try to get flicker-free black-screen-free boot working on Arch Linux, but for some reason GRUB *still* sets the screen to black, despite not having to show anything else at all (when it shall stay light gray (this is a Mac))...

Update: on my main computer the patches work flawlessly and my MSI logo stays for longer, so it seems like a Mac EFI bug/misbehavior...
    Last edited by tildearrow; 20 November 2018, 07:44 PM. Reason: update

Comment

I'm glad this is a thing, but it's much later than other OSs which have it, although I it's finally now possible by the move to Wayland/KMS.

Comment

Oh c'mon, a little flicker never hurt anyone!

I counted 6 flickers in 10 seconds from POST to my desktop. (who's got me beat?!)

Maybe I'm alone on this but I like to see what's going on before it gets to the desktop, not some boring splash screen.

Comment

No flickers at on running Debian "testing" with systemd and LXDE on an old Haswell i5 CPU.

Yes, there are a few more seconds of black screen delay after some Debian updates for 2 to 3 weeks ago, but no flicker at 1920x1080 resolution.
          Last edited by NotMine999; 14 November 2018, 03:20 PM. Reason: fix typos

Comment

No flickers here at all here with a 2700X, MSi B450M Mortar, Samsung 970 Pro, RX580 and systemd-boot running stock Arch packages. In fact I'm pretty sure that plymouth would just slow things down.

What would really make a difference would be for manufacturers to optimize their UEFI firmware implementations...
            Code:
            root@grey:~# systemd-analyze
            Startup finished in 14.903s (firmware) + 33ms (loader) + 1.363s (kernel) + 1.509s (initrd) + 1.209s (userspace) = 19.017s
            graphical.target reached after 1.209s in userspace
            I'm tempted to see if it's any faster in BIOS emulation mode which would also have the benefit of a simpler partitioning scheme, although I'm not sure if the experience would still be flicker-free.
            Last edited by Slithery; 14 November 2018, 03:47 PM.

Comment

I guess feature parity is important to some, but I just never switch my devices off.

Comment

i prefer the manjaro bootsplash

Comment

Originally posted by Slithery View Post
                  No flickers here at all here with a 2700X, MSi B450M Mortar, Samsung 970 Pro, RX580 and systemd-boot running stock Arch packages. In fact I'm pretty sure that plymouth would just slow things down.

What would really make a difference would be for manufacturers to optimize their UEFI firmware implementations...
                  Code:
                  Startup finished in 14.903s (firmware) + 33ms (loader) + 1.363s (kernel) + 1.509s (initrd) + 1.209s (userspace) = 19.017s
                  I'm tempted to see if it's any faster in BIOS emulation mode which would also have the benefit of a simpler partitioning scheme, although I'm not sure if the experience would still be flicker-free.
                  Plymouth would definitely slow things down.

Having just "quiet" in GRUB, I get:

Code:
                  $ systemd-analyze
                  Startup finished in 10.435s (firmware) + 343ms (loader) + 1.629s (kernel) + 3.085s (userspace) = [B]15.494s[/B]
                  graphical.target reached after 3.080s in userspace
                  By adding "quiet splash", I get:

Code:
                  $ systemd-analyze
                  Startup finished in 10.481s (firmware) + 342ms (loader) + 1.631s (kernel) + 21.415s (userspace) = [B]33.871s[/B]
                  graphical.target reached after 21.408s in userspace
                  $ systemd-analyze blame|head -n 2
                  [B]20.537s plymouth-quit-wait.service[/B]
                  2.072s NetworkManager-wait-online.service
                  So in my case, I see zero reason to use the splash screen.

On a cold boot with just "quiet":

Code:
                  $ systemd-analyze
                  Startup finished in 17.518s (firmware) + 344ms (loader) + 1.629s (kernel) + 3.002s (userspace) = [B]22.496s[/B]
                  graphical.target reached after 2.999s in userspace
                  Even more time in firmware (as opposed to just a reboot on the first one).

Before switching to RAID0, I was getting 10-11s in systemd-analyze. It's spending a lot of time in firmware now, not sure if I can improve that. There's about a few seconds of black screen before I see POST (when the video I posted starts), so it doesn't really bother me too much. Still boots pretty quickly and RAID0 is awesome otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Slithery View Post

Code:
                    If available on your motherboard (I have a MSI too), try the following thins:
                    • Set USB emulation to AUTO.
                    • Enable "MSI Fast Boot" or, if not available, "Windows 8 feature" (and disable Secure Boot).
                    • Disable BIOS CSM.
                    I personally have:

Code:
                    Startup finished in 6.598s (firmware) + 173ms (loader) + 346ms (kernel) + 27.487s (initrd) + 1.262s (userspace) = 35.868s
                    Initrd is much faster than it appears, it just happens to include the decrypt prompt.

Comment

Working...
                    X