Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland's Weston Is In Severe Need Of More Development Help

Phoronix: Wayland's Weston Is In Severe Need Of More Development Help

If you want to dive into the world of Wayland development or the Linux graphics stack as a possible career move, beginning with Weston would be a wise choice and they could really benefit from all the development resources they can receive...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So wayland and weston simply do not have enough developers, I guess the mystery of why I'm still using X11 is officially solved. Hope it gets better, but it might just be a bit of a catch 22, they don't have time for mentoring anyone, and without that mentoring it's hard for anyone to get in on this in the first place.

Comment

Surely if their "review queue" is currently 2 years long, then they specifically need more reviewers, committers and maintainers. Adding more patch-writers would surely make the situation worse.

Comment

Everyone is implementing its own Wayland implementation... This is something what we have not seen in X and it's disturbing to me.

Comment

Do you really need more developers when all you need is rm -rf wayland weston? Really.

On a serious note: "nobody" wants to work on it because it's a shit crippled protocol and nobody wants to be constrained by decisions of idiots from GNOME.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
            So wayland and weston simply do not have enough developers, I guess the mystery of why I'm still using X11 is officially solved. Hope it gets better, but it might just be a bit of a catch 22, they don't have time for mentoring anyone, and without that mentoring it's hard for anyone to get in on this in the first place.
            The news mentions Weston, not Wayland as a protocol directly, so I wouldn't assume that this has an influence on the Wayland adoption of other compositors. I've switched away from X11 a long time ago. The open issues are usually in the toolkits, xwayland, compositors, browsers, applications, ...

Comment

The good thing is that weston doesn't matter at all -since all other desktops have created wayland compatible compositors- and wayland is ready.

The biggest issue with wayland adoption is nVidia.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                The biggest issue with wayland adoption is nVidia.
                God bless Nvidia our lord and savior from the shackles of GNOME.

Comment

Kind of ironic considering this was supposed to be new hot, nimble thing to save us from the old, unmaintained Xorg.
                  And yes, I know this just the reference implementation, because one reusable implementation is also passe and now everyone gets to implement the same thing over and over again. And still not have feature parity

Comment

Since when is Weston supposed to have all this activity? I thought it was supposed to be a bare-bones POC compositor.

Comment

Working...
                    X