Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LVFS Gaining More Recognition For Firmware Updates, Transitioning To A Linux Foundation Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LVFS Gaining More Recognition For Firmware Updates, Transitioning To A Linux Foundation Project

Phoronix: LVFS Gaining More Recognition For Firmware Updates, Transitioning To A Linux Foundation Project

The Linux Vendor Firmware Service (LVFS) that works for distributing hardware firmware updates from laptop/motherboard UEFI capsule updates to different peripherals is continuing to receive more recognition in this era of increased security concerns...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I can't wait for this to become the norm for all manufacturers.

Comment

As HP Elite x2 1013 G3 owner I wish HP distribute updates via LVFS too.

Comment

Typos:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        RIchard Hughes of Red Hat
        Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        project but didn't ovver anymore details in today's blog post.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
          I can't wait for this to become the norm for all manufacturers.
          I can't wait for this to become the norm also on Windows.

Comment

In one side, this will led to a easily way to deliver important firmware updates on Linux;
            On the other side, this could led to a easily way to deliver nasty firmware malware on your hardware, like those keyloggers in some keyboards or modified BIOS...

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
              In one side, this will led to a easily way to deliver important firmware updates on Linux;
              On the other side, this could led to a easily way to deliver nasty firmware malware on your hardware, like those keyloggers in some keyboards or modified BIOS...
              What will be your suggestion?

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                LVFS isn't "community-contributed" stuff, to contribute a firmware you need to use the account of the OEM making it.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post

What will be your suggestion?
                  The best possible way is signing the firmware, and have the microcontroller in the device check the signature before allowing the firmware upgrade.

Then again it won't stop NSA and such that can just infiltrate the company and plant all backdoors they feel like, but it will be safe from normal cybercrime.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
                    As HP Elite x2 1013 G3 owner I wish HP distribute updates via LVFS too.
                    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    I can't wait for this to become the norm also on Windows.
                    MS already pushed UEFI firmware through Windows update. My Aspire E15 received it just a few weeks ago, right after Acer listed the update on their website

Comment

Working...
                    X