Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New /proc/pid/kill Interface Proposed For Killing Linux Processes

Phoronix: New /proc/pid/kill Interface Proposed For Killing Linux Processes

A Google developer has proposed /proc/pid/kill as a new profs-based kill interface for killing a process on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    as a new profs-based kill interface

Comment

The principle concern with something like this, is whether it's compatible with psDooM.

Comment

Why call it kill if it can send any signal?

Comment

So, from what I gathered, it is race-safe as you can use the file descriptor (/proc/pid) as a process handle.

Traditionally, you would use the kill (2) signal on a pid, hoping the process wasn't killed and the pid reused in-between.

I also agree with LinAGKar . I get that the original function.call was named kill, but it might have been a mistake in the first place? (though I can get the consistency argument)
          Last edited by M@yeulC; 30 October 2018, 04:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            Phoronix: New /proc/pid/kill Interface Proposed For Killing Linux Processes

A Google developer has proposed /proc/pid/kill as a new profs-based kill interface for killing a process on Linux...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...c-Pid-Kill-RFC

Comment

Originally posted by rmoog View Post

While I love the GIF, I would say that having a race-condition-free interface to send signals to specific processes is indeed a good thing

Comment

Originally posted by LinAGKar View Post
                Why call it kill if it can send any signal?
                kill (be it the program, the shell builtin or the syscall) has always been able to send any signal to a target process or group of processes. That might be a good reason why the name stuck

Comment

I like this idea. It seems like a very graceful solution. However, like LinAGKar was pointing towards; I think it would make more sense to call it "signal" or something like that instead of calling it "kill".

I wonder when procfs will be cleaned up and have all the duplicate functionality from sysfs stripped from it.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmanuel Deloget View Post

kill (be it the program, the shell builtin or the syscall) has always been able to send any signal to a target process or group of processes. That might be a good reason why the name stuck
                    I understand that the kill command and syscall would need to retain the name for compatability, but if we're making something new we have the opportunity to name it something better. Note also that though the kill command can send any signal, it kills the process by default (well, terminates), so that adds to the case for calling it kill. Here however, you always have to explicitly specify the signal.

Comment

Working...
                    X