Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME's Geoclue 2.5 Brings Vala Support, WiFi Geolocation For City-Level Accuracy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME's Geoclue 2.5 Brings Vala Support, WiFi Geolocation For City-Level Accuracy

Phoronix: GNOME's Geoclue 2.5 Brings Vala Support, WiFi Geolocation For City-Level Accuracy

GNOME's Geoclue library that provides a D-Bus service for location information based on GPS receivers, 3G modems, GeoIP, or even WiFi-based geolocation has been baking a lot of changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does Flatpak and Snap have any scope to limit usage of geolocation services?
    I don't want all applications to have access to geolocation, only GNOME Maps.

Can Geoclue be used with indoor location tracking?

Comment

The linked release announcement says nothing about "scrambling" the location when using wifi. It says
      * WiFi-based geolocation (accuracy: in meters)
      Also, it would be kind of creepy if it actually used wifi for a city-wide estimate, because that would mean intentionally making the location *less* precise so the user does not feel stalked, when the server actually knows the precise location.

Unfortunately, there seems to be no info on how to disable Geoclue or at least the "feature" that sends a list of available wifi to some random server on the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by dstaubsauger View Post
        The linked release announcement says nothing about "scrambling" the location when using wifi. It says

Also, it would be kind of creepy if it actually used wifi for a city-wide estimate, because that would mean intentionally making the location *less* precise so the user does not feel stalked, when the server actually knows the precise location.

Unfortunately, there seems to be no info on how to disable Geoclue or at least the "feature" that sends a list of available wifi to some random server on the internet.
        In meters means that it's not precise, i.e. scrambled.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

In meters means that it's not precise, i.e. scrambled.
          The phoronix article says
          But for this WiFi-based geolocation they are applying some scrambling to ensure it's at a broad city-level basis
          which, as i understand it, contradicts the release announcement. A few meters accuracy (as claimed by the release announcement) is what i would expect from a wifi based estimation, without further intentional "scrambling", and it's far more precise than the "city-level" that the article claims.

Comment

Working...
          X