You Can Help Ubuntu This Weekend Test The Near-Final Cosmic Cuttlefish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You Can Help Ubuntu This Weekend Test The Near-Final Cosmic Cuttlefish

Phoronix: You Can Help Ubuntu This Weekend Test The Near-Final Cosmic Cuttlefish

If all goes well, the Ubuntu 18.10 "Cosmic Cuttlefish" release will happen on 18 October but for that to happen they could use your help this weekend testing their release candidate spins...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Too bad Python is at 3.6, not 3.7.
    Also Git is at 2.17, not 2.19. However Git 2.19 seems to be available in the cosmic-proposed repository.

Ubuntu 18.10 feels like a great release! I like it!

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Too bad Python is at 3.6, not 3.7.
      Also Git is at 2.17, not 2.19. However Git 2.19 seems to be available in the cosmic-proposed repository.

Ubuntu 18.10 feels like a great release! I like it!
      You've posted this on like every Ubuntu announcement I care to remember. You just can't wrap your head around the idea Ubuntu is not about including the latest and greatest, can you?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

You've posted this on like every Ubuntu announcement I care to remember. You just can't wrap your head around the idea Ubuntu is not about including the latest and greatest, can you?
        He posts like this on any announcement ever. His fixation on the latestestest version reminds me of webdevelopers.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

He posts like this on any announcement ever. His fixation on the latestestest version reminds me of webdevelopers.
          Well, I'm a developer and I don't fret about that. I simply moved on to a distro that doesn't get in my way.

Comment

I tried it out as sick of 1hr battery life on my laptop since 18.04 (known issue with Prime select not actually disabling the discrete GPU.)

Instead I got a login loop bug because of my xorg.conf (generated conf not hand written.) Looking in syslog pointed me to .local/share/xorg and looking at the error I just moved the /etc/X11/xorg.conf out of the way and rebooted (I tried a whole bunch of other things before I found the error messages, also, I seem to get these login loop issues all the time on Ubuntu upgrades and a different thing fixes it each time.)

That has worked in that I can now log in; however, all my extensions are gone and I'll have to dig through my backups to find out what I had installed. I'll wait until I get into work to check out the power usage to see if prime-select is working correctly now so hopefully I'll get a bit more lifetime away from a power brick.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Well, I'm a developer and I don't fret about that. I simply moved on to a distro that doesn't get in my way.
              emphasis on webdeveloper.

I'm probably biased due to my job, but if there is some pretty serious "new and latest" worshippers it's in web development

Comment

emphasis on webdeveloper.

I'm probably biased due to my job, but if there is some pretty serious "new and latest" worshippers it's in web development
                Neah, I'm not doing web development as my main job, but I still had to leave Ubuntu/Neon behind because of outdated Qt, Go, Rust, even Java packages. PPAs are great, but they'll only take you so far. Still, it's not Ubuntu's fault I was trying to use for jobs it's not meant to fulfill.

Comment

He posts like this on any announcement ever.
                  And he also posts the same questions on any announcement ever. I'm beginning to think he's a bot...

Comment

6 mpnth releases are dumb

Comment

Working...
                    X