Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 18.10 Beta Now Available For Testing The Cosmic Cuttlefish

Phoronix: Ubuntu 18.10 Beta Now Available For Testing The Cosmic Cuttlefish

The Ubuntu 18.10 Beta was released today for the official desktop, server, and cloud products. As well, 18.10 betas are out today for Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Ubuntu Budgie, Ubuntu Kylin, Ubuntu MATE, Ubuntu Studio, and Xubuntu...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Selecting existing partitions isn't present in Subiquity when installing Ubuntu Server 18.04. In my opinion, Subiquity is for those who don't mind wiping out existing partitions when installing Ubuntu Server 18.04. Luckily, I left my storage drive (/dev/sdb) alone and later add /fileserver to /etc/fstab. Debian installer should have been kept as-is for the main Ubuntu Server 18.04 ISO until all the basic functions are added to Subiquity. Subiquity made me feel nervious during the install but luckily, no /dev/sdb1 partition is lost. All is well.

Comment

who gives a more polished desktop experience now with both Gnome 3.30, Ubuntu 18.10 or Fedora 29?

Comment

Is anyone know what to do with this?

Hello! I find that in Gnome Shell 3.29.90 (Wayland session) attempt to copy text with Ctrl+Shift+C in Gnome Terminal cause interrupt (Ctrl+C) for running program. This happen even when I do this inside virt-viewer connection to virtual machine. Other related hotkeys such as Ctrl+Shift+V, Ctrl+Shift+T also won't work. A also find that switch keyboard layout with default Alt+Shift cause Opera display it's menu (seems like this is reaction to Alt like it was pressed as separate buttong) which...

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
          who gives a more polished desktop experience now with both Gnome 3.30, Ubuntu 18.10 or Fedora 29?
          Ubuntu 18.10 isn't full Gnome 3.30, it still uses Nautilus 3.26.0. As for the rest, it really depends what you are after. Fedora is generally speaking more bleeding edge, Ubuntu tends to be more conservative but also much more customised. If you want the latest and greatest Gnome has to offer, use Fedora. If you want a more seamless desktop experience, Ubuntu is probably better. If you want some specific software (like LXD, Docker, Libvirt etc.) the one that has it better integrated will always feel more "polished".

Comment

It uses Python 3.6 not Python 3.7. 😢
            It use Git 2.17 not 2.19. 😢

Atom âš› doesn't work, However Atom beta does work.
            VS Code doesn't work.

Comment

Oh my god, what happened in this cycle, Gnome Shell / Mutter is much slower than in the previous version where it was already slow. I love the work carried out by the Gnome Team & Canonical (and other DEs too but I cannot believe a single window animation can still lag in 2018. (I tried 3 different GPUs and 2 machines that are lightning fast under KDE for instance).

Does it mean the numerous optimizations carried out in this cycle saved memory but cost in cpu cycle and/or smoothness ? (I must say preserving memory is important too)

Comment

Edit : sorry for sounding like a spoiled kid. I know software development is extremely complicated. It's just strange the major Linux distro is released in this state)

Comment

Originally posted by torturedutopian View Post
                  Edit : sorry for sounding like a spoiled kid. I know software development is extremely complicated. It's just strange the major Linux distro is released in this state)
                  Not to nitpick but it isn't quite released yet is it? But I do hope any performance issues are sorted out before this trickles back the hwe stack for 18.04

Comment

Yep, but the same issue occurs in all other distros featuring Gnome 3.30 that I've tried (OpenSUSE tumbleweed, Fedora 29 beta, Arch). And Gnome 3.31 has nothing in its changelog regarding this.

Comment

Working...
                    X