The Next Linux Kernel To Support Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 Sound Cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Next Linux Kernel To Support Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 Sound Cards

Phoronix: The Next Linux Kernel To Support Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 Sound Cards

The next major Linux kernel cycle whether it is called Linux 4.20 or ends up being called Linux 5.0 as expected is now slated to carry support for the high-end Creative Labs' Sound BlasterX AE-5 sound card...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    which has already been out in the market ofr a while now,

Comment

hrm, my case *does* need some more RGBs :P

Comment

Props to the developers who put in the effort to support creative labs garbage. It probably wouldn't take much effort to develop a driver which competes favourably with the official ones

Comment

This RGB controller is probably nothing more that 3-channel PWM controller. You could probably connect some PWM fans to it and control them. Of course the fans require some range of PWM frequency and I don't know what those light controllers use but they could be flexible enough to allow adjusting them to the correct range. Obviously you need to supply power to the fans from elsewhere but that can be taken from PSU directly.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post
            This RGB controller is probably nothing more that 3-channel PWM controller. You could probably connect some PWM fans to it and control them. Of course the fans require some range of PWM frequency and I don't know what those light controllers use but they could be flexible enough to allow adjusting them to the correct range. Obviously you need to supply power to the fans from elsewhere but that can be taken from PSU directly.
            I'm unsure of what is the point of all this when you can buy PWM fan controllers for cheap already. I mean, if I buy a 150$ sound card it has to have integrated RGB, I can add all fans I want already.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              I'm unsure of what is the point of all this when you can buy PWM fan controllers for cheap already. I mean, if I buy a 150$ sound card it has to have integrated RGB, I can add all fans I want already.
              I was actually thinking of the RGB controllers on current motherboards and graphics cards. It just happened that I wrote about it here because this (very expensive) sound card has such feature.

Yes, (USB?) fan controller would be simpler. Maybe it's my DIY mindset which thinks that this is cooler. Happy hacking!

Comment

Working...
              X