Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former Compiz Developer Creating New Window Animation Library

Phoronix: Former Compiz Developer Creating New Window Animation Library

Sam Spilsbury who was the former Compiz lead developer at Canonical and involved in the Unity desktop shell development is creating a new library spun out of Compiz...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

we mis the compiz animations, that was something windows userd didn't have, and lot of people changed to linux because of this fancy effects, i know this should not be the main reason to coe to linux but it was it did, the cube effect was amazing and the bubble windows too....

Comment

So Linux now appears to what is essentially idiocy, by wasting processing power on superficial eye candy? Rather than committing more efforts to the many things that make Linux user-unfriendly...

Who cares that you can't do basic things without having to search the internet and type cryptic commands in the console, when you can just spend your day watching window animations?

Every serious PC user I know actually disables even the most basic animations and effects.

Comment

Originally posted by ddriver View Post
        Who cares that you can't do basic things without having to search the internet and type cryptic commands in the console
        which basic things?

Comment

So Linux now appears to what is essentially idiocy, by wasting processing power on superficial eye candy? Rather than committing more efforts to the many things that make Linux user-unfriendly...

Who cares that you can't do basic things without having to search the internet and type cryptic commands in the console, when you can just spend your day watching window animations?

Every serious PC user I know actually disables even the most basic animations and effects.
          Nothing like being ignorant about Compiz's true useability. Yeah, animations and wobbling windows are totally useless. I don't care about those and don't use them, but I love Compiz though.

Very useful features like zooming with mouse selections or buttons, can't compare with anything else. You can even lock the screen once zoomed which is important for some situations (think: play an old fixed low resolution game without changing resolution or going full screen).

Comment

Used to find them cool, back in the day, but now I just see these fancy effects as a distraction and a waste of system resources. I'll take a beautiful GUI over fancy animations, any day.
            Last edited by mao_dze_dun; 13 September 2018, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Ah yes, compiz. The very first thing I disable on any Linux install. It absolutely kills OpenGL performance even when it's not doing anything. Terrible software.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post

which basic things?
                Last month a Linux laptop of mine went to update its software on low battery, and the update process interrupted itself when the battery level got critical and the OS shut down. After powering up, the OS wouldn't load properly. I had to spend an hour searching for a solution to this problem that shouldn't have happened in the first place, and I had to go through several before I finally got it. It took a lot of typing, editing configuration files, numerous reboots to see if it works and whatnot.

This shouldn't have happened in the first place:

1 - the update process should refuse to run when battery level is low
                2 - when the system is gracefully shut down during an update process, that shouldn't leave the system in a broken state

Even before that, on that same mainstream dell laptop, the cursor sensitivity that was built into ubuntu didn't work. It could only be set by typing in the console and editing config files.

The same applies to the screen resolution. It had to be manually configured, as the control panel simply didn't work.

And even if I am a very casual Linux user, I can go on and on about it. I have several pages of commands saved in a text file that I have to type on a new Linux install before it can be useful to my purposes. Stuff that I mostly don't have to do in windoze, or if I do, there is a user interface way to do it without having to look commands up.

Linux is great as a hardware operating system, but as a user operating system, it is still pretty bad, Yeah, it has come to a state where you can install it and get it working property for basic things like browsing or office work, but god forbid something goes wrong, which tends to happen way too often. I am not a big fan of windoze neither obviously, and it has gotten quite worse recently, mostly thanks to having practically no competition whatsoever as a user operating system.

Comment

Moron, do you realize the only two things you just complained about are the top two things that make linux distributions so powerful.

Comment

Last month a Linux laptop of mine went to update its software on low battery, and the update process interrupted itself when the battery level got critical and the OS shut down. After powering up, the OS wouldn't load properly. I had to spend an hour searching for a solution to this problem that shouldn't have happened in the first place, and I had to go through several before I finally got it. It took a lot of typing, editing configuration files, numerous reboots to see if it works and whatnot.

This shouldn't have happened in the first place:

1 - the update process should refuse to run when battery level is low
                    2 - when the system is gracefully shut down during an update process, that shouldn't leave the system in a broken state

Even before that, on that same mainstream dell laptop, the cursor sensitivity that was built into ubuntu didn't work. It could only be set by typing in the console and editing config files.

The same applies to the screen resolution. It had to be manually configured, as the control panel simply didn't work.

And even if I am a very casual Linux user, I can go on and on about it. I have several pages of commands saved in a text file that I have to type on a new Linux install before it can be useful to my purposes. Stuff that I mostly don't have to do in windoze, or if I do, there is a user interface way to do it without having to look commands up.

Linux is great as a hardware operating system, but as a user operating system, it is still pretty bad, Yeah, it has come to a state where you can install it and get it working property for basic things like browsing or office work, but god forbid something goes wrong, which tends to happen way too often. I am not a big fan of windoze neither obviously, and it has gotten quite worse recently, mostly thanks to having practically no competition whatsoever as a user operating system.
                    In which case -you- need to choose something else. That simple really. Go buy a mac, you'll never have the power to fix your own machine ever again. And that's exactly what your complaining about that you want.

EDIT: Did you seriously just imply that Windows doesn't break? Really? That's damn sure the implication I just read. The real truth is that windows breaks in ways that can't be fixed and re-installing is often times the -only- option for it. That's essentially what you -are- asking linux distributions to become, unfixable. OSes break, it happens to all of them.
                    Last edited by duby229; 13 September 2018, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X