Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

September 2018 Drivers: The Current Linux Performance & Perf-Per-Watt From NVIDIA Kepler To Pascal vs. AMD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• September 2018 Drivers: The Current Linux Performance & Perf-Per-Watt From NVIDIA Kepler To Pascal vs. AMD

Phoronix: September 2018 Drivers: The Current Linux Performance & Perf-Per-Watt From NVIDIA Kepler To Pascal vs. AMD

There is one week to go until NVIDIA begins shipping the GeForce RTX 2080 "Turing" series but while waiting for that hardware, here is a look back at how various graphics cards are performing for Linux games from the GTX 1000 Pascal series back through the GTX 600 Kepler series. On the AMD side in this comparison is also going from Vega back to the GCN 1.0 Southern Islands. The Vulkan/OpenGL Linux gaming performance is being looked at as well as the overall system power consumption and performance-per-Watt.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

@Michael
    GPU Temperature Monitor
    System Power Consumption Monitor

Where is RX 580?

Comment

Vega cards are certainly capable of performing, even faster then 1080ti in some places, but are being let down by either drivers or absolutely no optimizations done in games.

Is a shame, maybe one day, like in 2 years time Vega64 for example will outpace the 1080ti in more tests, but we really aren't going to be caring by then!

Comment

I wonder how AMD's proprietary vulkan driver performs against nvidia.

Comment

Hmmm Hawai (R9 290) seems to be underperforming vs the GTX 970 in Vulkan.
          The opposite of what we see on windows.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix
            Or in the perforance-per-Watt department, Vega is in line with the

Comment

May I suggest a new performance metric? Frames per dollar! I'm sure Radeon would win! It would make all the sense to many non geeky folks!

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                Vega cards are certainly capable of performing, even faster then 1080ti in some places,
                Oh? What evidence of this have you?

On paper, the peak numbers are quite similar. But that's about it.

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                Is a shame, maybe one day, like in 2 years time Vega64 for example will outpace the 1080ti in more tests, but we really aren't going to be caring by then!
                The only card Vega has to play is rapid packed math. Maybe, now that all three GPU vendors have it in their newer products, games will finally start using more fp16. This will indeed benefit Vega (and not the 1080 Ti), but also the RTX 20xx series.
                Last edited by coder; 12 September 2018, 12:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jayaura View Post
                  may i suggest a new performance metric? frames per dollar! I'm sure radeon would win! It would make all the sense to many non geeky folks!
                  vovo plzz

Comment

Originally posted by jayaura View Post
                    May I suggest a new performance metric? Frames per dollar! I'm sure Radeon would win!
                    Some review sites do indeed rate cards in fps per $. What I think you'll find is that cards are already pretty well matched relative to each others' performance.

Also, price/performance is rather consistent up and down the range. If you look at MSRP, at least, and disregard outliers like Titan cards.

Comment

Working...
                    X