No announcement yet.

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood - Latest Steam Play Game On Linux Receiving Mesa Fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wolfenstein: The Old Blood - Latest Steam Play Game On Linux Receiving Mesa Fix

Phoronix: Wolfenstein: The Old Blood - Latest Steam Play Game On Linux Receiving Mesa Fix

While the Mesa OpenGL/Vulkan drivers have matured into great shape particularly over the past two years for vastly improving the Linux gaming experience on Radeon and Intel hardware, with Valve's Steam Play allowing more Windows games on Linux via Proton/Wine has opened up Mesa to needing a lot more optimizations, workarounds, and dealing with other intricacies. The latest receiving the special treatment is Wolfenstein: The Old Blood...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I thought this game had native vulkan options? or does only its sequel have it?

Comment

This is great news about The Old Blood. Surely RAGE 1 will follow fairly soon? Wolfenstein The New Order plays under Wine on radeonsi already, and very well at that.. *much* better than under Windows with AMD's proprietary driver.

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
      I thought this game had native vulkan options? or does only its sequel have it?
      Only Wolfenstein II (The New Colossus) uses Vulkan.. looking forward to being able to play that one under Steam Play as well.

Exciting times.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix
        Separately, over in the DXVK space, hitting its tree minutes ago for this Direct3D-to-Vulkan compatibility layer is a workaround so AMD graphics cards are spoofed as NVIDIA for Grand Theft Auto V with Steam Play / Proton. That appears to be good enough to get GTA V working now on AMD hardware under Linux if you are using the latest components.
        Isn't this the other way around ? It worked just fine on AMD and it had issues on nvidia?
        From my understanding, Nvidia graphic cards are spoofed as AMD because otherwise if the game identified nvidia, it tried to load some proprietary nvapi which is not implemented..

Code:
        { "dxgi.customVendorId", "1002" },
        1002 is ATI/AMD : https://pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/1002
        Last edited by xxmitsu; 08 September 2018, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Not all games pull on this nvapi thing. You can also fake the nvapi files or perhaps valve will get them working fine with proton.

Comment

Originally posted by xxmitsu View Post

Isn't this the other way around ? It worked just fine on AMD and it had issues on nvidia?
            From my understanding, Nvidia graphic cards are spoofed as AMD because otherwise if the game identified nvidia, it tried to load some proprietary nvapi which is not implemented..

Code:
            { "dxgi.customVendorId", "1002" },
            1002 is ATI/AMD : https://pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/1002
            Whoops yeah, thanks. Fixed.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Tried doom 2016 with steamplay, did not work. Works flawlessly with playonlinux. Right now installing Skyrim SE, no my hopes are not up but its worth a try.

Comment

OK! SO! Good news! Skyrim SE runs using steam proton and looks absolutely gorgious and runs well, very well it seems. Looks like I was wrong.

Windows 10 is seriously about to be toasted on my system. Very tempted but no so hasty just yet.

Skyrim SE known to be garbage while running using wine is now a go and runs well. Skyrim SE has been known to be the worst version to get running on Linux and now it runs with no obvious graphical glitching, settings on ultra.
                Last edited by creative; 08 September 2018, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post
                  Tried doom 2016 with steamplay, did not work.
                  Try to force the Vulkan renderer trough a launch option, I know some people had success doing this.

Comment

The launch option to be setup in game options is the one below. It makes Doom 2016 start directly with the Vulkan API. The OpenGL API needs at least Mesa 18.2+ and LLVM 7 as far as I know, although the latter might not be a hard requirement:

+r_renderAPI 1

Comment

Working...
                    X