Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Seeing Samba Integration Fixes & Improvements

Phoronix: KDE Seeing Samba Integration Fixes & Improvements

Those of you dealing with files stored on Samba shares while accessing them from the KDE desktop will soon see a variety of improvements to that experience...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Indeed the file sharing doesn't work properly. Samba should work only because of microsoft operating system but it is not possible to share folders without samba though using only Kde operating systems. Sharing should be possible since the first installation without samba if the operating systems are the same. Other problem regards with the UFW firewall which make impossible to access the shared folders of other users in the LAN despite of enabling SAMBA in the firewall.

Comment

The sad thing is, SMB has always worked best for me in Samba<->Samba situations, followed next by Samba<->Windows situations, and given me the most trouble in Windows<->Windows situations, where it just loves to misbehave in hard-to-diagnose ways.

Comment

I'm confused... I never had problems with KDE and SAMBA, I don't have GVFS installed, and I don't remember doing anything special to get smb:// to work in Dolphin.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          I'm confused... I never had problems with KDE and SAMBA, I don't have GVFS installed, and I don't remember doing anything special to get smb:// to work in Dolphin.
          From the blog post, it's more like corner cases being taken care of:Samba has been working OK-ish for me... Well, at least waaay better than Android mtp. I was never able to mount a phone via mtp on KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            Enable UFW firewall and then check again. Is it possible the file sharing without samba? samba should be used in an hybrid environment when users have also microsoft operating systems but when they use only linux operating system samba should be useless, don't you?

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
              Samba has been working OK-ish for me... Well, at least waaay better than Android mtp. I was never able to mount a phone via mtp on KDE.
              You should probably do some checks what exactly failed. I've recently just connected my Android phone via MTP, unlocked it and successfully copied some files onto it with Dolphin.

Comment

Someone needs to make a systemd of file sharing. Samba is a pain to setup and maintain.

Comment

You never had problems with KDE and SMB? I never had a KDE where it worked properly.

Comment

Originally posted by xnor View Post
                    You never had problems with KDE and SMB? I never had a KDE where it worked properly.
                    What didn't work properly? KIO is painfully limited, but it "basically works" if you stay away from the problematic cases.

Comment

Working...
                    X