VLC Saw A Lot Of Exciting Work Thanks To Google Summer of Code 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VLC Saw A Lot Of Exciting Work Thanks To Google Summer of Code 2018

Phoronix: VLC Saw A Lot Of Exciting Work Thanks To Google Summer of Code 2018

The VLC media player was one of the big recipients of this year's Google Summer of Code with seeing several students work on some pretty interesting projects...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What about VLC media player on Wayland?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      What about VLC media player on Wayland?
      Agreed - this could use some improvement. Though, at least it seems to be better than it once was.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        Agreed - this could use some improvement. Though, at least it seems to be better than it once was.
        Wayland seems to be supported already: https://github.com/videolan/vlc/comm...output/wayland

Maybe it's a distro thing?

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
          Wayland seems to be supported already: https://github.com/videolan/vlc/comm...output/wayland

Maybe it's a distro thing?
          It is working but it's not flawless. IIRC, tooltips still create a new entry in the task bar, and in fullscreen the toolbar shows up in the middle of the screen. It's still plenty usable and the overall performance is fine, I'm just saying that I wouldn't consider their Wayland support done.

Comment

Lol, I'm so used to xwayland applications' menues popping up in the wrong end of my (dual screen) desktop already, I wouldn't be the one to complain.
            Last edited by andreano; 30 August 2018, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by andreano View Post
              Lol, I'm so used to xwayland applications' menues popping up in the wrong end of my (dual screen) desktop already.
              One of the reasons I bought a LG 32' widescreen. It gives the same space as 2 fullHD screens side by side, but it is a single screen so I don't have to deal with this.
              It's also the same DPI as a normal FullHD screen, so I don't have to deal with scaling issues.
              It's around twice the price of a good FullHD screen, but that's what it actually delivers so it's ok IMHO.

Also for Windows, the Land Where Everything Works (tm) it saves headaches in dual monitor configuration.

Comment

There was also the project for adding a high quality Vulkan video output module based on libplacebo:

It's not listed on the google website because the author forgot to fill the final evaluation in time :-)

Comment

Sincerely I don't use VLC since a long time, during the time it seem have lost its first goals, today I believe the MPV is way better than VLC!

Comment

VLCs problem is that they're using a shitty outdated super mediocre video renderer that can't match up to pretty much anything else, until that's fixed there's pretty much no reason to even use vlc over just streaming shit online. With MPV and MPC at least we have access to quality upscaling algorithms, smoothmotion/motion interpolation and other such nice (read: necessary) things.

Comment

Working...
                    X